Re: [Slovak-World] Sauerkraut on New Year's Day

  • Vladimir Linder
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 31, 2010
    • William
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 3, 2011
        On 1/3/2011 11:57 AM, Mader, Michelle A. (GRC-CHC0) wrote:

        > We always have pork and sauerkraut on New Year's Day. My
        > Slovak/Croatian/Italian family had it when I was growing up, my
        > husband's German family had it when he was growing up, and we keep up
        > the tradition. Don't know much else about it except that it is
        > supposed to bring good luck.
        >
        > Michelle Maco Mader
        > Cleveland, Ohio USA

        "...supposed to bring good luck." Don't forget what happened to the pig
        and the cabbage!

        Bill Brna

      • hwedhlor
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 4, 2011
          Hi Vladimir,

          Thank you so much for sharing the photos and your mother's
          hand-written recipe for Christmas Sauerkraut Soup.

          I grew up in a household where pork and sauerkraut were
          enjoyed, but usually as pork chops and mashed potatoes, and
          it had nothing to do with Slovak traditions or culture, as
          the family cultures were German and Cornish. I was adopted
          at the age of three months, and knew nothing of my
          biological heritage on my father's side, and little of my
          mother's side. I happily enjoyed the culture of my adoptive
          family, and the love of my parents.

          In 2006 I was blessed to locate my birth mother after
          considerable research, and a separation of 63 years. We have
          been close ever since, and one of the blessings I received
          from her is the name of my birth father, which was Michael
          Alois Severnak. I've been a genealogist for several decades,
          and was able to trace my Grandfather's place of birth to
          Nizny Hrusov, in the Presov Region of Slovakia. In the
          process of these discoveries I have met a sister, and two
          brothers I never knew I had, as well as the widow of yet a
          third brother who passed away in 1993.

          Research continues, and I am catching up, but still very
          ignorant of the Slovak culture. Would it be possible for you
          to publish your mother's recipe for Christmas Sauerkraut
          Soup, in English?

          Thanks for opening yet another door to my Slovak heritage.

          All the best,

          John Zimmerman
          Mesa, AZ

          On 12/31/2010 7:22 PM, Vladimir Linder wrote:

          > http://lindervideo.com/Kapustnica/1.htm
          >
          > Vladi

        • Vladimir Linder
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 4, 2011
            Thank you for sharing your very touching story. The published recipe is the translation of my mother's recipe in the book.

            Vladi