Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Christmas Drink

  • Sue Groh
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 3, 2011
      Helene,

      Here's a recipe from my "Recipes from Baba's Kitchen and Ours", compiled by the Framily and Friends of St. John's Orthodox Church in Phipsburg, PA.

      It's called Boilo (Lithuanian Traditional Holiday Drink), but it seems to fill most of the request.

      Make a cloth bag and put in:

      1 heaping Tbsp. caraway seeds
      4 cinnamon sticks
      2 allspice
      1 bay leaf
      ruties (optional)

      Put spice bag in bottom of coffe pot (10-12 cup size).  Add:

      1 c. ginger ale
      rind of 1 orange
      1 qt. 100 proof whiskey
      1 c. honey

      Bring to a simmer (simmer, do not boil) and serve hot.

      I have no idea what ruties are, and couldn't find them via Google; being optional, I wouldn't think they're a major factor.  This recipe could easily be halved, too.

      Zuza

    • Sue Groh
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 3, 2011
        I forgot to mention that the Nativity of St. John the Baptist Church is still an active church in Philipsburg.  Here's a link to their website:

        http://www.oca.org/DIRlisting.asp?SID=9&KEY=OCA-WP-PHISJB

      • Sue Groh
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 3, 2011
          Going to Spokeo and giving them your email address is only going to add spam to your mailbox!