RE: [Slovak-World] Re: Christmas Drink

  • Plichta
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 3, 2011
      Helene,

      I don't know the Slovak recipe but what you are describing is the same drink
      as the German Wassail. Check out the URL:
      http://recipes.epicurean.com/recipe/939/wassail.html

      Frank

      _____

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 3, 2011
        Helene,

        Here's a recipe from my "Recipes from Baba's Kitchen and Ours", compiled by the Framily and Friends of St. John's Orthodox Church in Phipsburg, PA.

        It's called Boilo (Lithuanian Traditional Holiday Drink), but it seems to fill most of the request.

        Make a cloth bag and put in:

        1 heaping Tbsp. caraway seeds
        4 cinnamon sticks
        2 allspice
        1 bay leaf
        ruties (optional)

        Put spice bag in bottom of coffe pot (10-12 cup size).  Add:

        1 c. ginger ale
        rind of 1 orange
        1 qt. 100 proof whiskey
        1 c. honey

        Bring to a simmer (simmer, do not boil) and serve hot.

        I have no idea what ruties are, and couldn't find them via Google; being optional, I wouldn't think they're a major factor.  This recipe could easily be halved, too.

        Zuza

      • Sue Groh
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 3, 2011
          I forgot to mention that the Nativity of St. John the Baptist Church is still an active church in Philipsburg.  Here's a link to their website:

          http://www.oca.org/DIRlisting.asp?SID=9&KEY=OCA-WP-PHISJB

        • Sue Groh
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 3, 2011
            Going to Spokeo and giving them your email address is only going to add spam to your mailbox!