spokeo

  • Marycay Doolittle
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 2, 2011
      Hi,

      I just received this. I followed the instructions and sure enough....there I was, big as life with personal info, even though with Facebook I have everything set to private. Yes, even my address was listed for anyone to see. But I was listed as a man so it's not completely accurate.

      I walked through the steps and it worked. I'm contacting my family members and friends, as well as groups that I belong to. I have nieces, and yes, I found them. I'm sending this so others can protect themselves & I'm passing this to toehrs I know.

      "There's a site www.Spokeo.com<http://www.spokeo.com/> that's a new online USA
      phone book with personal information: everything from

      1. pics you've posted on FB or web,
      2. your approx credit score,
      3. home value,
      4. income,
      5. age, etc.

      You can remove yourself by

      1. first searching for yourself on their site to find the URL of your page &
      copy it
      2. Next go to the Privacy button on the bottom of their (Spokeo's) home page, paste the url and remove yourself

      You will receive an email in your mailbox. Click to confirm the removal on Spokeo.com. You will then receive confirmation that your url has been removed.

      If you have more than one facebook account, you will have to check that separately.

    • CurtB
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 2, 2011
        Marycay,
        This is now a hopeless case. Spokeo is just one of MANY aggregators of individual information (both correct and incorrect) that are available on the internet. Most of them have no way for you to remove the aggregated information. All they do is pull together information that is already available publicly on the internet anyway. So anyone who is really looking can find it easily anyway. Just for starters, google you own name and you will just see a tiny portion of what it out there. Your name, address, telephone number, age, and other household members are listed in many internet telephone directories. All government records now online (such as real estate holdings) are publicly available, so anyone who owns property under their own name is listed in any of the real estate aggregators with estimated value of your property. Much money donated to presidential and other political candidates also becomes public record and is often aggregated. Criminal records, often including traffic and speeding tickets are aggregated by most states and can easily be found. Welcome to the 21st century.

        Curt B.
        .

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 3, 2011
          Curt,

          Unfortunately I think you're right. A friend and I discussed this and came to a similar conclusion, and we don't think there is a heck of a lot we can do about it. Unless we're going to hide under a rock, this is what we can expect.

          Marycay

          This is now a hopeless case. Spokeo is just one of MANY aggregators of individual information (both correct and incorrect) that are available on the internet. Most of them have no way for you to remove the aggregated information. All they do is pull together information that is already available publicly on the internet anyway. So anyone who is really looking can find it easily anyway. Just for starters, google you own name and you will just see a tiny portion of what it out there. Your name, address, telephone number, age, and other household members are listed in many internet telephone directories. All government records now online (such as real estate holdings) are publicly available, so anyone who owns property under their own name is listed in any of the real estate aggregators with estimated value of your property. Much money donated to presidential and other political candidates also becomes public record and is often aggregated. Criminal records, often including traffic and speeding tickets are aggregated by most states and can easily be found. Welcome to the 21st century.

          Curt B.
          .
          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Marycay Doolittle" <marycayd@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > I just received this. I followed the instructions and sure enough....there I was, big as life with personal info, even though with Facebook I have everything set to private. Yes, even my address was listed for anyone to see. But I was listed as a man so it's not completely accurate.
          >
          > I walked through the steps and it worked. I'm contacting my family members and friends, as well as groups that I belong to. I have nieces, and yes, I found them. I'm sending this so others can protect themselves & I'm passing this to toehrs I know.
          >

          > "There's a site www.Spokeo.com<http://www.spokeo.com/> that's a new online USA
          > phone book with personal information: everything from
          >
          > 1. pics you've posted on FB or web,
          > 2. your approx credit score,
          > 3. home value,
          > 4. income,
          > 5. age, etc.
          >
          > You can remove yourself by
          >
          > 1. first searching for yourself on their site to find the URL of your page &
          > copy it
          > 2. Next go to the Privacy button on the bottom of their (Spokeo's) home page, paste the url and remove yourself
          >
          > You will receive an email in your mailbox. Click to confirm the removal on Spokeo.com. You will then receive confirmation that your url has been removed.
          >
          > If you have more than one facebook account, you will have to check that separately.

        • Ron
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 3, 2011
            You can put out fake birth dates and other other information when you sign on to social contact sites. It helped when a collection agency called and started to dun me to pay a debt that was not mine. The first call they nearly had my name correct, but the birth date was clearly gleaned from the internet. Of course when you are conducting legitimate business you have to provide accurate information. For the internet, perhaps choose a birth date for your sibling so it will be easy to recognize.

            By chance this site has an old telephone number recorded for me, and I am perfectly content to leave it that way!

            Ron

            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Marycay Doolittle" <marycayd@...> wrote:

            > Curt,
            >
            > Unfortunately I think you're right. A friend and I discussed this and came to a similar conclusion, and we don't think there is a heck of a lot we can do about it. Unless we're going to hide under a rock, this is what we can expect.
            >
            > Marycay

          • helene cincebeaux
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 3, 2011
              Hi All - Can anyone help with the following request I received...

               I am searching for a recipe for a drink that my Grandfather made for Christmas
              Eve.  My Father, who is 93 years old, and I have talked about it during the
              course of the last few years.  I would love to surprise him and make it for
              him.  I remember my Grandfather letting us sip it when we were children.  It was
              a sweet drink.  I have an old copy of the Jednota Newspaper from 1987 that
              mentions it in an article about Slovak Christmas Eve traditions.  The drink is
              called Jeziskove.  "The father then offers his greetings and toasts everyone
              with Jeziskove, the name given a special Slovak Christmas drink made with
              whiskey and spices.  Depending on what was available they would sometimes use
              whiskey or wine."  My Father thinks the drink contained cinnamon, cloves, and
              definitely honey.  Whatever other spices were used he can't recall.  I know
              after you heated all the spices and other ingredients you added the whiskey to
              it.  It was probably some type of mulled drink.  Have you ever heard of it?  If
              so, do you know the ingredients and the recipe?  If not, do you have any idea
              where I might continue my search.  The older my Father gets the more we talk
              about the foods his Mother and my Mother used to make and I am trying to make
              him these foods.  I would love for him to sip on Jesikove this year.

              Hope we can help her

              helene

            • Plichta
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 3, 2011
                Helene,

                I don't know the Slovak recipe but what you are describing is the same drink
                as the German Wassail. Check out the URL:
                http://recipes.epicurean.com/recipe/939/wassail.html

                Frank

                _____

                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 3, 2011
                  Helene,

                  Here's a recipe from my "Recipes from Baba's Kitchen and Ours", compiled by the Framily and Friends of St. John's Orthodox Church in Phipsburg, PA.

                  It's called Boilo (Lithuanian Traditional Holiday Drink), but it seems to fill most of the request.

                  Make a cloth bag and put in:

                  1 heaping Tbsp. caraway seeds
                  4 cinnamon sticks
                  2 allspice
                  1 bay leaf
                  ruties (optional)

                  Put spice bag in bottom of coffe pot (10-12 cup size).  Add:

                  1 c. ginger ale
                  rind of 1 orange
                  1 qt. 100 proof whiskey
                  1 c. honey

                  Bring to a simmer (simmer, do not boil) and serve hot.

                  I have no idea what ruties are, and couldn't find them via Google; being optional, I wouldn't think they're a major factor.  This recipe could easily be halved, too.

                  Zuza

                • Sue Groh
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 3, 2011
                    I forgot to mention that the Nativity of St. John the Baptist Church is still an active church in Philipsburg.  Here's a link to their website:

                    http://www.oca.org/DIRlisting.asp?SID=9&KEY=OCA-WP-PHISJB

                  • Sue Groh
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 3, 2011
                      Going to Spokeo and giving them your email address is only going to add spam to your mailbox!