Re: Pa Churches

  • dragansk
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 1, 2011
      Goes in hand in hand. Less people attending, especially young people. Fewer candidates for the priesthood. In Western PA we've seen Masses decreased continually over the years. Where there used to be Churches with 4 to 5 Masses, now they have one to two, and those are far from having pews filled.

    • Taoz@aol.com
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 2, 2011
        Vilo,
        You were lucky. In my home town they closed all three churches and
        substituted nothing. People there now have to go several miles in either of 2
        ways to get to mass. The situation is getting worse and worse all over. I
        am now in NYC and we get packed churches on Christmas and Easter and not too
        many attending the other weekends.
        Pavel

        In a message dated 12/31/2010 2:41:14 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        senzus@... writes:

        There is a shortage of priests. Rather than have one priest serve three
        parishes in a city, the diocese closes "three" and unites the parishioners
        under on newly named parish in the one remaining church. Our former St.
        Patrick's is now, Holy Trinity which combines: St Anthony's, Immaculate
        Conception and St. Patrick's.

        Z Bohom,

        Vilo

        --- On Thu, 12/30/10, _smudsville@..._ (mailto:smudsville@...)

        From: _smudsville@..._ (mailto:smudsville@...)
        <_smudsville@..._ (mailto:smudsville@...) >
        Subject: [Slovak-World] Pa Churches
        To: _slovak-world@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:slovak-world@yahoogroups.com)
        Date: Thursday, December 30, 2010, 12:26 AM

        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 31, 2011
          The churches are closing because of the lack of priests.

          I apologize if this is a dumb question but what happens to the priests of the closed churches? This seems such a large number of churches to close. Why is this happening?dlb

        • James Dubelko
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 1, 2011
            In Cleveland, they're closing as well because of lack of parishioners!

            Jim Dubelko

            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 1, 2011
              And don't forget the $$$ the church is paying out to the lawyers for the sex abuse.