Re: [Slovak-World] Sauerkraut on New Year's Day

  • Vladimir Linder
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 31, 2010
    • Marycay Doolittle
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 31, 2010
        We always have pork on New Year's Day. My mother would tell me that we couldn't eat fowl, because they scratch backwards and with the new year we need to go forward as a pig does. Someone recently told me it was a Welsh custom so maybe she got the idea from some of her friends. I haven't looked into this, but I cook pork regardless. Haven't added sauerkraut to the mix, but my mother's family use to make a big barrel of it to eat throughout the year. I tried making it once but it wasn't very good.

        Marycay

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 2, 2011
          Take look ant the masterpiece:

          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qgQ-bHHQt8

          Vladi
        • Mader, Michelle A. (GRC-CHC0)
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 3, 2011
            We always have pork and sauerkraut on New Year's Day. My Slovak/Croatian/Italian family had it when I was growing up, my husband's German family had it when he was growing up, and we keep up the tradition. Don't know much else about it except that it is supposed to bring good luck.

            Michelle Maco Mader
            Cleveland, Ohio USA

          • Dianne
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 3, 2011
              i was told that pork is eaten on new years day because when a pig eats, it moves forward across the ground to new grass etc.

              but then i was ALSO told that if a pregnant woman saw something that scared her, the baby would have a birthmark that resembled whatever it was!  and tickling a baby will make it stutter.

              We always have pork and sauerkraut on New Year's Day. My Slovak/Croatian/Italian family had it when I was growing up, my husband's German family had it when he was growing up, and we keep up the tradition. Don't know much else about it except that it is supposed to bring good luck.

              Michelle Maco Mader
              Cleveland, Ohio USA

            • William
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 3, 2011
                On 1/3/2011 11:57 AM, Mader, Michelle A. (GRC-CHC0) wrote:

                > We always have pork and sauerkraut on New Year's Day. My
                > Slovak/Croatian/Italian family had it when I was growing up, my
                > husband's German family had it when he was growing up, and we keep up
                > the tradition. Don't know much else about it except that it is
                > supposed to bring good luck.
                >
                > Michelle Maco Mader
                > Cleveland, Ohio USA

                "...supposed to bring good luck." Don't forget what happened to the pig
                and the cabbage!

                Bill Brna

              • hwedhlor
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 4, 2011
                  Hi Vladimir,

                  Thank you so much for sharing the photos and your mother's
                  hand-written recipe for Christmas Sauerkraut Soup.

                  I grew up in a household where pork and sauerkraut were
                  enjoyed, but usually as pork chops and mashed potatoes, and
                  it had nothing to do with Slovak traditions or culture, as
                  the family cultures were German and Cornish. I was adopted
                  at the age of three months, and knew nothing of my
                  biological heritage on my father's side, and little of my
                  mother's side. I happily enjoyed the culture of my adoptive
                  family, and the love of my parents.

                  In 2006 I was blessed to locate my birth mother after
                  considerable research, and a separation of 63 years. We have
                  been close ever since, and one of the blessings I received
                  from her is the name of my birth father, which was Michael
                  Alois Severnak. I've been a genealogist for several decades,
                  and was able to trace my Grandfather's place of birth to
                  Nizny Hrusov, in the Presov Region of Slovakia. In the
                  process of these discoveries I have met a sister, and two
                  brothers I never knew I had, as well as the widow of yet a
                  third brother who passed away in 1993.

                  Research continues, and I am catching up, but still very
                  ignorant of the Slovak culture. Would it be possible for you
                  to publish your mother's recipe for Christmas Sauerkraut
                  Soup, in English?

                  Thanks for opening yet another door to my Slovak heritage.

                  All the best,

                  John Zimmerman
                  Mesa, AZ

                  On 12/31/2010 7:22 PM, Vladimir Linder wrote:

                  > http://lindervideo.com/Kapustnica/1.htm
                  >
                  > Vladi

                • Vladimir Linder
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 4, 2011
                    Thank you for sharing your very touching story. The published recipe is the translation of my mother's recipe in the book.

                    Vladi