Pa Churches

  • smudsville@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 29, 2010
      I apologize if this is a dumb question but what happens to the priests of the closed churches? This seems such a large number of churches to close. Why is this happening?dlb
    • dragansk
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 30, 2010
        Dwindling congregations, shortage of priests. In some areas here in PA -- like Duquesne, PA -- there are pastors running three or four separate parishes or, as they call them now, worship sites.

        The absolutely beautiful St. Stephen's Slovak Church in Johnstown was one of a few ethnic churches to survive in the old Cambria City part of town. I showed a friend from Germany this church in August and was dismayed that they had removed all the beautiful Slovak things from the church, like the large inscriptions over the altar and the large Slovak Bible in the altar area. At least this church was not closed or torn down, but I feel badly for the other churches that were closed.

        Dennis

        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 30, 2010
          Very few men are willing to become priests.  Same w/ nuns.

          The Irish used to fill the void.  Now the Nigerians are filling, but there just aren't enough.

          http://www.intelligencer.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2875434

          It is not just here.

          But I wonder what the church does w/ the artifacts?  Where do they go?  They don't just 'disappear.'

          Dwindling congregations, shortage of priests. In some areas here in PA -- like Duquesne, PA -- there are pastors running three or four separate parishes or, as they call them now, worship sites.

          The absolutely beautiful St. Stephen's Slovak Church in Johnstown was one of a few ethnic churches to survive in the old Cambria City part of town. I showed a friend from Germany this church in August and was dismayed that they had removed all the beautiful Slovak things from the church, like the large inscriptions over the altar and the large Slovak Bible in the altar area. At least this church was not closed or torn down, but I feel badly for the other churches that were closed.

          Dennis

          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, smudsville@... wrote:

          > I apologize if this is a dumb question but what happens to the priests of the closed churches? This seems such a large number of churches to close. Why is this happening?dlb

        • maxine
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 30, 2010
            WHY IS THIS HAPPENING? That is a good church. The RC did the same with my families church in Lopez, Pa, which is a village and the ONLY
            thing they had is town. They just remodeled the church and it burned!!! The "powers to be" TOOK THE MONEY and refused to give the people their money for the burned church. Why---they need money to pay off ALL THE COURT CASES when their priests abused children! It's a very SAD
            fact! What they should have done was THROW THE PRIEST OUT instead of transferring him or giving them a retirement! Very poor, poor JUDGMENT ON THE ABOVE POWERS! MAXINE

            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 30, 2010
              The Churches closed here did not have "dwindling Congregations", nor were they in debt.  The Priest shortage caused one priest to serve the 3 churches, saing tree masses on Sunday and one on Saturday.  5 minutes between churches, by car.

              The schedule now has cut one mass and caused a "dwindling Congregation".

              I discussed the problem with my Pastor in Slovakia, a young priest from Hlohovec.  He asked for some detail of the duties performed by the priest and ours here had Half the duties he has.

              Kuty has a population of 4200 people, 3500 professed Catholics.  the priest teaches class in School, 5 days per week plus special classes for First Communion and Confirmation.  There is a daily mass and two on Sunday.

              Although there is no shortage of priests in Slovakia, they see this for the future, not because the priests cannot marry but because, like here, the young do not wish to study for so many years, and make little money.

              Similarly, the young people are tending not to attend mass. ON Saturday night they go to the  disco and party until 3 or 4 AM, then sleep late on Sunday.

              It is sad.

              Z Bohom,

              Vilo

              From: dragansk <dragansk@...>

              To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com

              Date: Thursday, December 30, 2010, 10:32 AM

              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 30, 2010
                It is the dwindling supply of priests that cause the dwindling congregations.

                I agree Vilo.

                From: LongJohn Wayne <daxthewarrior@...>

                To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com

                From: dragansk <dragansk@...>

                To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com

                Date: Thursday, December 30, 2010, 10:32 AM

                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 30, 2010
                  The lawsuits against the church are hemorrhaging church coffers as well.  The victims get some.  But the trial lawyers, as is always the case, get the most.

                • KathleenKleber@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 30, 2010
                    There is a wonderful Slovak Church on the South Side of Pittsburgh - Prince
                    of Peace. We attended a Slovak Christmas dinner on the Saturday evening
                    before Christmas. They had a traditional Christmas Eve meal and talked
                    about the traditions and customs. They had entertainment by the
                    Slovakians. A bottle of wine was to be had at each table and we had commemorative
                    wine glasses that were made in Slovakia. They have it every year - it was
                    very enjoyable. Also fun to talk to other Slovaks about their memories and
                    customs around Christmas.

                  • maxine
                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 31, 2010
                      Hi, now that sounds very interesting. What did they serve and can you tell us what traditions & customs they talked about. Many of these are lost!
                      We should all share your information with our children in hopes of continuing the customs, food, etc
                      Thanks maxine

                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 31, 2010
                         HI Maxine - in light of your suggestion I published a new book "Slovakia!
                        Traditions Old & New" which records what Slovak village people told me about
                        customs and traditions. We (my mother Helen Zemek Baine) and I  gathered the
                        info over the past 40 years with visits to thousands of villages and wonderful
                        rye bread and home-made butter and herbal tea in cozy kitchens served by smiling
                        babicky.

                        The 172 page book follows the events and celebrations throughout the year and
                        also includes the life events of birth, marriage and death. There are color
                        photographs, paintings and works of art on every page that bring that time long
                        ago to life. Many friends gave me permission to use their work for which I was
                        very grateful. Also used the images I took there in all parts of Slovakia over
                        the past 40 years.

                        I wrote this book for all the people who told me that their immigrant ancestors
                        are gone and no one can answer their questions about what life was like in the
                        old country before they came to America.

                        Another main reason was to honor all those beautiful people who shared their
                        treasured customs and traditions. I like to imagine them smiling down from
                        heaven on us.

                        if anyone wants more info contact me directly at helenezx@...

                        Happy New Year to all!!!! And be sure to record all you remember about your
                        family's holiday customs and ask your elderly relatives - that is a most
                        precious heirloom to preserve and pass on to your family!

                        helene

                        ________________________________

                        There is a wonderful Slovak Church on the South Side of Pittsburgh - Prince
                        of Peace. We attended a Slovak Christmas dinner on the Saturday evening
                        before Christmas. They had a traditional Christmas Eve meal and talked
                        about the traditions and customs. They had entertainment by the
                        Slovakians. A bottle of wine was to be had at each table and we had
                        commemorative

                        wine glasses that were made in Slovakia. They have it every year - it was
                        very enjoyable. Also fun to talk to other Slovaks about their memories and
                        customs around Christmas.

                      • William C. Wormuth
                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 31, 2010
                           There is a shortage of priests. Rather than have one priest serve three parishes in a city,  the diocese closes "three" and unites the parishioners under on newly named parish in the one remaining church.  Our former St. Patrick's is now, Holy Trinity which combines: St Anthony's, Immaculate Conception and St. Patrick's.

                          Z Bohom,

                          Vilo

                          I apologize if this is a dumb question but what happens to the priests of the closed churches? This seems such a large number of churches to close. Why is this happening?dlb

                        • Fred G Kovalyak
                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 31, 2010
                              Helen,I would like to purchase a copy of ure book "Slovakia!
                            Traditions Old & New"   to show to my children and grandchilden. Where and how
                            can I buy it ?
                                Fred G Kovalyak

                            ________________________________

                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 1, 2011
                              Goes in hand in hand. Less people attending, especially young people. Fewer candidates for the priesthood. In Western PA we've seen Masses decreased continually over the years. Where there used to be Churches with 4 to 5 Masses, now they have one to two, and those are far from having pews filled.

                            • Taoz@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jan 2, 2011
                                Vilo,
                                You were lucky. In my home town they closed all three churches and
                                substituted nothing. People there now have to go several miles in either of 2
                                ways to get to mass. The situation is getting worse and worse all over. I
                                am now in NYC and we get packed churches on Christmas and Easter and not too
                                many attending the other weekends.
                                Pavel

                                --- On Thu, 12/30/10, _smudsville@..._ (mailto:smudsville@...)

                                From: _smudsville@..._ (mailto:smudsville@...)
                                <_smudsville@..._ (mailto:smudsville@...) >
                                To: _slovak-world@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:slovak-world@yahoogroups.com)
                                Date: Thursday, December 30, 2010, 12:26 AM

                                Message 15 of 17 , Jan 31, 2011
                                  The churches are closing because of the lack of priests.

                                  I apologize if this is a dumb question but what happens to the priests of the closed churches? This seems such a large number of churches to close. Why is this happening?dlb

                                • James Dubelko
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Feb 1, 2011
                                    In Cleveland, they're closing as well because of lack of parishioners!

                                    Jim Dubelko

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Feb 1, 2011
                                      And don't forget the $$$ the church is paying out to the lawyers for the sex abuse.