RE: Dobry Den!

  • Mader, Michelle A. (GRC-CHC0)
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 29, 2010
      All of the remaining Slovak churches in the Cleveland area were closed in the past year.

      Michelle Maco Mader
      Cleveland, Ohio USA

      From: Joseph Kuna <joseph.kuna@...<mailto:joseph.kuna%40yahoo.com>>
      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com<mailto:Slovak-World%40yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Wednesday, December 29, 2010, 7:59 AM

      Hi folks,

      Sorry to report that Holy Trinity Slovak Catholic Church in Simpson, Pa (near Carbondale) has been torn down. Pictures of its demolition were in the Carbondale News. No history of the parish is available.My grandparents were founding members in around 1907. It was a beaufiful little church and when its congregation was active they had the most wonderful summer picnics. It closed in 2006 and was being badly vandalized.

      Anyone on the list have any historical information on this parish in the Diocese of Scranton? Thanks

    • maxine
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 29, 2010
        Are these Catholic or Orthodox churches? maxine sasala

        All of the remaining Slovak churches in the Cleveland area were closed in the past year.

        Michelle Maco Mader
        Cleveland, Ohio USA

        Sorry to report that Holy Trinity Slovak Catholic Church in Simpson, Pa (near Carbondale) has been torn down. Pictures of its demolition were in the Carbondale News. No history of the parish is available.My grandparents were founding members in around 1907. It was a beaufiful little church and when its congregation was active they had the most wonderful summer picnics. It closed in 2006 and was being badly vandalized.

        Anyone on the list have any historical information on this parish in the Diocese of Scranton? Thanks

      • Marycay Doolittle
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 29, 2010
          Roman Catholic in the Scranton, PA area.

          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 29, 2010
            Sue,

            I went on Helene's tour this past summer and was able to drive through
            Poloma. My day guide was Vlado Flak and I highly recommend him. So far I
            have found my family in Sarisske Dravce, Krasna Luka, Sambron, and possibly
            Poloma which is why I had him drive me up there. You get there from Sarisske
            Dravce or Krasna Luka and you drive up sloping rolling hills. Once we got
            to the village and turned around to look at the scenery we had just come
            from - just beautiful; it took my breath away. Plus they were haying in the
            fields while we were there. I think I know someone in the Cleveland Ohio
            area from the village Kolackov. I will print this out and show her to see
            if this is her village. I have been to Slovakia twice and also to my
            grandfather's village Sarisske Dravce to the office. In fact, when we showed up
            in the office this year, the girls recognized us. I was able to meet the
            mayor Josef Bujnak who is a distant cousin. What a small world. I can't
            wait to go back this year with my daughter. We are going to take the train
            and bus throughout Europe. I am taking Slovak lessons and I also have a
            German phrase book. My daughter will handle any Spanish or French we might
            need. Another hint to find out about the villages you are interested in, put
            them into Google search with double quotes around the village name. I
            found tons of information on the villages along with pictures and some video
            to know what the villages looked like even before I went there.

            Good Luck!

            Barb Golias from Ohio

            In a message dated 12/28/2010 8:44:48 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
            s.groh@... writes:

            I'm so glad this story struck a chord with so many on this board! It seems
            providential to me that it was printed on Christmas Day this year, as I
            feel I'm getting closer to my grandparents every week for the past few months.
            It's taken a long time, but I believe I've found my grandmother Katherine
            Duracinsky's birthplace, Kolackov, and my grandfather Pal Groch's, Poloma.

            My father and aunt both mentioned Poloma as a place from which my
            grandfather immigrated, and I have found enough in U.S. census records to convince
            me that's where my Groch family came from. The fact that Kolackov is only
            about 35 miles from Poloma, and there are many Duracinskys listed in local
            records there, gives me the drive to investigate it as my grandmother's
            birthplace. The U.S. census records show various spellings that could be
            derivatives of the village's name.

            I never knew my grandparents-she died in 1929, he in 1938, long before I
            was born, and spent relatively little time with my father's siblings who
            lived in Cleveland.

            Stephanie, I know there is no replacement for immediate family, and I hope
            you are seeking your relatives from Slovakia. I look forward to visiting
            there some time, and I also plan to seek out living relatives here in the
            states. I have found many names to seek out. My parents are gone, and my
            siblings are far-flung. Who knows-maybe I'll find a few "new" relatives in my
            neighborhood?

            I really appreciate this online community, and the folks I've met in
            person from the group were all very friendly and interesting.

          • William C. Wormuth
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 29, 2010
              They are all Roman Catholic Churches.

              Vilo

              From: Joseph Kuna <joseph.kuna@...<mailto:joseph.kuna%40yahoo.com>>

              To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com<mailto:Slovak-World%40yahoogroups.com>

              Date: Wednesday, December 29, 2010, 7:59 AM

            • KathleenKleber@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 2, 2011
                We went 3 years ago and had a private driver take us to the villages of
                Papradno and Hvozdnica in the Bytca region. We found names in the white
                pages from over there of people with the same last name as my grandmother's
                maiden name - we weren't able to find my grandfather's because we were not sure
                of the correct original spelling - but after going to the cemetery we knew
                what the correct spelling was. Milan our driver spoke fluent English and
                was tremendous as an interpreter. We had such an amazing experience meeting
                family. A lot of slivovich. We would love to go over again next summer
                but are not sure what is the best tour group to hook up with. Our first
                trip we just had this man recommended, he has 5 children now and just
                doesn't have the time any more to do this type of thing. His wife has been ill
                as well. Any one have good suggestions about a good tour group?

              • CurtB
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 2, 2011
                  Kathleen,
                  Yes, this is an easy one. Travel with Helene.

                  For more information see:

                  http://www.our-slovakia.com/slovakia-tour.html

                  Curt B.

                  --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, KathleenKleber@... wrote:

                  > We went 3 years ago and had a private driver take us to the villages of
                  > Papradno and Hvozdnica in the Bytca region. We found names in the white
                  > pages from over there of people with the same last name as my grandmother's
                  > maiden name - we weren't able to find my grandfather's because we were not sure
                  > of the correct original spelling - but after going to the cemetery we knew
                  > what the correct spelling was. Milan our driver spoke fluent English and
                  > was tremendous as an interpreter. We had such an amazing experience meeting
                  > family. A lot of slivovich. We would love to go over again next summer
                  > but are not sure what is the best tour group to hook up with. Our first
                  > trip we just had this man recommended, he has 5 children now and just
                  > doesn't have the time any more to do this type of thing. His wife has been ill
                  > as well. Any one have good suggestions about a good tour group?

                • Fedor, Helen
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 10, 2011
                    Hi Sue,
                    Sorry, but I still haven't heard back from the fellow whose family might also be from Kolackov. I've emailed him again.

                    Helen