Dobry Den!

  • sue_groh
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 28, 2010
      I'm so glad this story struck a chord with so many on this board! It seems providential to me that it was printed on Christmas Day this year, as I feel I'm getting closer to my grandparents every week for the past few months. It's taken a long time, but I believe I've found my grandmother Katherine Duracinsky's birthplace, Kolackov, and my grandfather Pal Groch's, Poloma.

      My father and aunt both mentioned Poloma as a place from which my grandfather immigrated, and I have found enough in U.S. census records to convince me that's where my Groch family came from. The fact that Kolackov is only about 35 miles from Poloma, and there are many Duracinskys listed in local records there, gives me the drive to investigate it as my grandmother's birthplace. The U.S. census records show various spellings that could be derivatives of the village's name.

      I never knew my grandparents-she died in 1929, he in 1938, long before I was born, and spent relatively little time with my father's siblings who lived in Cleveland.

      Stephanie, I know there is no replacement for immediate family, and I hope you are seeking your relatives from Slovakia. I look forward to visiting there some time, and I also plan to seek out living relatives here in the states. I have found many names to seek out. My parents are gone, and my siblings are far-flung. Who knows-maybe I'll find a few "new" relatives in my neighborhood?

      I really appreciate this online community, and the folks I've met in person from the group were all very friendly and interesting.
    • Joseph Kuna
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 29, 2010
        Hi folks,

        Sorry to report that Holy Trinity Slovak Catholic Church in Simpson, Pa (near Carbondale) has been torn down.  Pictures of its demolition were in the Carbondale News.  No history of the parish is available.My grandparents were founding members in around 1907. It was a beaufiful little church and when its congregation was active they had the  most wonderful summer picnics. It closed in 2006 and was being badly vandalized.

         Anyone on the list have any historical information on this parish in the Diocese of Scranton?  Thanks

        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 29, 2010
          I have no historical info on this church, but I did grow up in the area so this is sad news. I'll have to look this story up. Unfortunately this is happening in this area. My parish was Holy Ghost in Olyphant, PA and I'm afraid this might be the fate for this church also. Very sad. Thanks for the update.

          Marycay

          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 29, 2010
            Dear Sue - this is sooo exciting! Two other good friends have Duracinsky roots
            in Kolackov - it's a super village! Especially memorable as that is where i saw
            the St. John's Night bonfire on the mountain above town and all the young people
            were up there celebrating and jumping over the fire, a truly ancient custom that
            is discussed and pictured in my book "Slovakia! Traditions Old & New".

            There are several Duracinsky listings in the Slovak phone book in Kolackov and
            one in nearby Nova Lubovna and another in Stara Lubovna - might well be your
            family!

            helene

            ________________________________
[...]

          • William C. Wormuth
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 29, 2010
              I am Sorry for your loss.  Out Slovak Roman Catholic Church, St, Anthony of Padua, is closed and for sale, as is our Italian church of the Immaculate Conception.

              Here in our area, (Johnstown, Gloversville and Amsterdam,  NY total population about 40,000). 6 churches have been closed, mostly "national" churches.

              In Amsterdam, NY the bishop of the Albany diocese has sold three to Buddhists.  Can you imagine passing your family parish church and see a sign in front "BUDDHIST TEMP.LE,  Free Meditation Classes weekly" .

              At the Shrine of the North American Martyrs, Auriesville, NY, the Jesuit Order has sold the Tertianship, (Seminary), to the Buddhists.

              After reading your message and others from Pa and OH, I am nearly ready to believe that there is a conspiracy afoot, by our Bishops Conference' to close national churches in order to use our priests in other pariishes and dioceses.

              Our people have been very hurt but I would be happy to see the churches torn down rather then see them sold to "other religions" or denominations.

              God Love and Comfort you all who are suffering such losses.  Just keep in mind that our ancestors labored to build thse edifaces in Praise of Jesus Christ and his Blessed Motherand in order that they could Sing and Pray in their Mother tongue.

              Pochvalen Bud' Pan Jez~is~ Kristus!

              Vilo

              From: sue_groh <s.groh@...>

              To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com

              Date: Wednesday, December 29, 2010, 1:44 AM

[...]

            • Mader, Michelle A. (GRC-CHC0)
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 29, 2010
                All of the remaining Slovak churches in the Cleveland area were closed in the past year.

                Michelle Maco Mader
                Cleveland, Ohio USA

                Sorry to report that Holy Trinity Slovak Catholic Church in Simpson, Pa (near Carbondale) has been torn down. Pictures of its demolition were in the Carbondale News. No history of the parish is available.My grandparents were founding members in around 1907. It was a beaufiful little church and when its congregation was active they had the most wonderful summer picnics. It closed in 2006 and was being badly vandalized.

                Anyone on the list have any historical information on this parish in the Diocese of Scranton? Thanks

              • maxine
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 29, 2010
                  Are these Catholic or Orthodox churches? maxine sasala

                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 29, 2010
                    Roman Catholic in the Scranton, PA area.

                  • bjgolias1@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 29, 2010
                      Sue,

                      I went on Helene's tour this past summer and was able to drive through
                      Poloma. My day guide was Vlado Flak and I highly recommend him. So far I
                      have found my family in Sarisske Dravce, Krasna Luka, Sambron, and possibly
                      Poloma which is why I had him drive me up there. You get there from Sarisske
                      Dravce or Krasna Luka and you drive up sloping rolling hills. Once we got
                      to the village and turned around to look at the scenery we had just come
                      from - just beautiful; it took my breath away. Plus they were haying in the
                      fields while we were there. I think I know someone in the Cleveland Ohio
                      area from the village Kolackov. I will print this out and show her to see
                      if this is her village. I have been to Slovakia twice and also to my
                      grandfather's village Sarisske Dravce to the office. In fact, when we showed up
                      in the office this year, the girls recognized us. I was able to meet the
                      mayor Josef Bujnak who is a distant cousin. What a small world. I can't
                      wait to go back this year with my daughter. We are going to take the train
                      and bus throughout Europe. I am taking Slovak lessons and I also have a
                      German phrase book. My daughter will handle any Spanish or French we might
                      need. Another hint to find out about the villages you are interested in, put
                      them into Google search with double quotes around the village name. I
                      found tons of information on the villages along with pictures and some video
                      to know what the villages looked like even before I went there.

                      Good Luck!

                      Barb Golias from Ohio

                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 29, 2010
                        They are all Roman Catholic Churches.

                        Vilo

                        From: Joseph Kuna <joseph.kuna@...<mailto:joseph.kuna%40yahoo.com>>

                        To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com<mailto:Slovak-World%40yahoogroups.com>

                        Date: Wednesday, December 29, 2010, 7:59 AM

                      • KathleenKleber@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 2, 2011
                          We went 3 years ago and had a private driver take us to the villages of
                          Papradno and Hvozdnica in the Bytca region. We found names in the white
                          pages from over there of people with the same last name as my grandmother's
                          maiden name - we weren't able to find my grandfather's because we were not sure
                          of the correct original spelling - but after going to the cemetery we knew
                          what the correct spelling was. Milan our driver spoke fluent English and
                          was tremendous as an interpreter. We had such an amazing experience meeting
                          family. A lot of slivovich. We would love to go over again next summer
                          but are not sure what is the best tour group to hook up with. Our first
                          trip we just had this man recommended, he has 5 children now and just
                          doesn't have the time any more to do this type of thing. His wife has been ill
                          as well. Any one have good suggestions about a good tour group?

                        • CurtB
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 2, 2011
                            Kathleen,
                            Yes, this is an easy one. Travel with Helene.

                            For more information see:

                            http://www.our-slovakia.com/slovakia-tour.html

                            Curt B.

                            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, KathleenKleber@... wrote:

                            > We went 3 years ago and had a private driver take us to the villages of
                            > Papradno and Hvozdnica in the Bytca region. We found names in the white
                            > pages from over there of people with the same last name as my grandmother's
                            > maiden name - we weren't able to find my grandfather's because we were not sure
                            > of the correct original spelling - but after going to the cemetery we knew
                            > what the correct spelling was. Milan our driver spoke fluent English and
                            > was tremendous as an interpreter. We had such an amazing experience meeting
                            > family. A lot of slivovich. We would love to go over again next summer
                            > but are not sure what is the best tour group to hook up with. Our first
                            > trip we just had this man recommended, he has 5 children now and just
                            > doesn't have the time any more to do this type of thing. His wife has been ill
                            > as well. Any one have good suggestions about a good tour group?

                          • Fedor, Helen
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 10, 2011
                              Hi Sue,
                              Sorry, but I still haven't heard back from the fellow whose family might also be from Kolackov. I've emailed him again.

                              Helen