RE: [Slovak-World] Re: Rusin language letter

  • Armata, Joseph R
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 20, 2010
      Is that the back high vowel like in standard Russian "syn" (son) or "byt'" (to be)? I've heard it here in Pittsburgh at Byzantine churches. Their pronunciation is a bit different from the Russian pronunciation, but it's similar and it does catch your ear as a unique sound!

      I think of it as the "ewwwwwww" sound that Lucille Ball used to say on I Love Lucy when she was caught in one of her crazy schemes (listen here: http://tinyurl.com/2dxsh92).

      Joe