meetup

  • Lubos Brieda
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 6, 2010
      Oh, and by the way, check this out: http://meetupblog.meetup.com/

      For those of you who don't know MeetUp, it's an online place where people can
      organize groups based on some common interest. There are groups for hiking,
      dancing, mushroom picking, you name it. I am active here in the D.C. area with
      the Slovak meetup group. We work closely with SASW (the group Helen is in), and
      get together to go to the movies, happy hours, festivals, etc...
      -- Lubos Brieda --
      Slovak recipes: www.slovakcooking.com

      Hikes and travel: www.iamlubos.com

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 6, 2010
        Julie,
        The Greek/Latin stuff is not so important. I was just pointing out that early Christianity was Greek speaking and not Latin speaking. So for the first 300 years the Christians have Greek names and the early saints are Greek named. The New Testament was written originally in Greek and Christianity spread throughout the empire among Greek speakers. Latin doesn't get used much until the 4th century. That is when St. Vincentius appears in Spain, martyred under Diocletian, and the name Vincentius spread quickly in every European martyrology, or saint list. I think St. Augustine picked the 21 Jan date for the liturgical celebration.

        CB

      • Edward T. Surkosky
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 6, 2010
          I imagine Vincentia would be a feminine form of Vincent. St. Vincent de Paul
          founded an order of nuns that are commonly called the Vincentian Sisters. If
          there were no St. Vincentia then they would celebrate St. Vincent as their
          patron.

          Ed Surkosky

          > You've made an interesting find. There is no modern equivalent because it
          > is so rare. The name itself is interesting because it is just a female
          > equivalent of Vincentius. Vincentia/Vicentius are interesting names
          > because their origin is late Christian Latin era, and not Greek as most
          > Christian names. THe name is not found in Classical Latin. Its origins
          > are obscure but is assumed it comes from the verb to conquer. The name
          > Vincentia spread into Italian, Portuguese, and Spanish but not into
          > French. It got borrowed and used a bit in Bavaria, but even rare there.
          > In name calendars one finds separate name days for both male and female
          > names like Miloslav and Miloslava, but not for Vincent Vincentia.The
          > reason it is not found in the name calendars of Czech, Slovak, Hungarian
          > or Polish, is simply because it is NOT a saint's name. The name day is
          > traditionally assigned because of the celebration of a saint's feast day.
          > These days have changed over the years because of many revisions of church
          > calendars. There was no saint Vincentia, thus no name day. There have
          > been a few recent canonizations, so Vincentia now does appear in the Roman
          > Martyrology.
          >
          > But to use the name in the time you found it means someone went out of
          > their way to use an unusual name, and not that of a saint.
          >
          > Curt B.
          >

          > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Julie Michutka <jmm@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> I'm having trouble with one name: 1860 Slovak baptismal record,
          >> recorded in Latin, girl's name Vincentia; what's the modern Slovak
          >> equivalent? I'm not finding it on my name list....
          >>
          >> D'akujem,
          >>
          >> Julie Michutka
          >> jmm@...

        • George Sirko
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 7, 2010
            Julie,
            Thanks. My misunderstanding. Happy Holidays to Everyone.
            George