Re: [Slovak-World] Slovak equivalent of Vincentia

  • Julie Michutka
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 6, 2010
      Awesome, thanks! So that final -t on Vincent gets changed for the
      feminine form. What a great resource!

      Julie

      On Dec 6, 2010, at 2:16 PM, William C. Wormuth wrote:

      > Ulis~a,
      >
      > Je to tak! http://www.sk-spell.sk.cx/slovniky/index.php/list/21/3,V.xhtml
      >

      > ________________________________
      > From: Julie Michutka <jmm@...>
      >
      > I'm having trouble with one name: 1860 Slovak baptismal record,
      > recorded in Latin, girl's name Vincentia; what's the modern Slovak
      > equivalent? I'm not finding it on my name list....
      >
      > D'akujem,
      >
      > Julie Michutka
      > jmm@...
    • Julie Michutka
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 6, 2010
        Hi Curt,

        Interesting point about Greek vs Latin names; I'll have to think on
        that one. Vincent is just straight from the Latin imperfective active
        participle, "conquering."

        I'd wonder if this were an illegitimate birth, b/c those kids
        sometimes get the odd names (altho' what's odd in one village isn't
        necessarily odd in another), but this girl and her twin Agnes were the
        last in a large family. Vincentia (now Vincencia!) died young, so I
        have her name documented twice.

        I don't know what to make of her family using an unusual name; or, her
        godparents choosing it.... I wonder sometimes how strictly that custom
        was followed, that the godparents named the child. And there are
        times when I'm reading through the parish registers when I could swear
        that the priest is choosing the names for a stretch of time.

        Thanks to all who helped!

        Julie Michutka
        jmm@...

        On Dec 6, 2010, at 3:58 PM, CurtB wrote:

        > Julie,
        > You've made an interesting find. There is no modern equivalent
        > because it is so rare. The name itself is interesting because it is
        > just a female equivalent of Vincentius. Vincentia/Vicentius are
        > interesting names because their origin is late Christian Latin era,
        > and not Greek as most Christian names. THe name is not found in
        > Classical Latin. Its origins are obscure but is assumed it comes
        > from the verb to conquer. The name Vincentia spread into Italian,
        > Portuguese, and Spanish but not into French. It got borrowed and
        > used a bit in Bavaria, but even rare there.
        > In name calendars one finds separate name days for both male and
        > female names like Miloslav and Miloslava, but not for Vincent
        > Vincentia.The reason it is not found in the name calendars of Czech,
        > Slovak, Hungarian or Polish, is simply because it is NOT a saint's
        > name. The name day is traditionally assigned because of the
        > celebration of a saint's feast day. These days have changed over
        > the years because of many revisions of church calendars. There was
        > no saint Vincentia, thus no name day. There have been a few recent
        > canonizations, so Vincentia now does appear in the Roman Martyrology.
        >
        > But to use the name in the time you found it means someone went out
        > of their way to use an unusual name, and not that of a saint.
        >
        > Curt B.
        >

        > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Julie Michutka <jmm@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> I'm having trouble with one name: 1860 Slovak baptismal record,
        >> recorded in Latin, girl's name Vincentia; what's the modern Slovak
        >> equivalent? I'm not finding it on my name list....
        >>
        >> D'akujem,
        >>
        >> Julie Michutka
        >> jmm@...

      • Lubos Brieda
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 6, 2010
          Julie, how about Vincentka Van Gogova?
          :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrQYcXsvtck
          -- Lubos Brieda --
          Slovak recipes: www.slovakcooking.com

          Hikes and travel: www.iamlubos.com

          ________________________________
          Interesting point about Greek vs Latin names; I'll have to think on
          that one. Vincent is just straight from the Latin imperfective active
          participle, "conquering."

          I'd wonder if this were an illegitimate birth, b/c those kids
          sometimes get the odd names (altho' what's odd in one village isn't
          necessarily odd in another), but this girl and her twin Agnes were the
          last in a large family. Vincentia (now Vincencia!) died young, so I
          have her name documented twice.

          I don't know what to make of her family using an unusual name; or, her
          godparents choosing it.... I wonder sometimes how strictly that custom
          was followed, that the godparents named the child. And there are
          times when I'm reading through the parish registers when I could swear
          that the priest is choosing the names for a stretch of time.

          Thanks to all who helped!

          Julie Michutka
          jmm@...

          On Dec 6, 2010, at 3:58 PM, CurtB wrote:

          > Julie,
          > You've made an interesting find. There is no modern equivalent
          > because it is so rare. The name itself is interesting because it is
          > just a female equivalent of Vincentius. Vincentia/Vicentius are
          > interesting names because their origin is late Christian Latin era,
          > and not Greek as most Christian names. THe name is not found in
          > Classical Latin. Its origins are obscure but is assumed it comes
          > from the verb to conquer. The name Vincentia spread into Italian,
          > Portuguese, and Spanish but not into French. It got borrowed and
          > used a bit in Bavaria, but even rare there.
          > In name calendars one finds separate name days for both male and
          > female names like Miloslav and Miloslava, but not for Vincent
          > Vincentia.The reason it is not found in the name calendars of Czech,
          > Slovak, Hungarian or Polish, is simply because it is NOT a saint's
          > name. The name day is traditionally assigned because of the
          > celebration of a saint's feast day. These days have changed over
          > the years because of many revisions of church calendars. There was
          > no saint Vincentia, thus no name day. There have been a few recent
          > canonizations, so Vincentia now does appear in the Roman Martyrology.
          >
          > But to use the name in the time you found it means someone went out
          > of their way to use an unusual name, and not that of a saint.
          >
          > Curt B.
          >

          > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Julie Michutka <jmm@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> I'm having trouble with one name: 1860 Slovak baptismal record,
          >> recorded in Latin, girl's name Vincentia; what's the modern Slovak
          >> equivalent? I'm not finding it on my name list....
          >>
          >> D'akujem,
          >>
          >> Julie Michutka
          >> jmm@...

        • Lubos Brieda
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 6, 2010
            Oh, and by the way, check this out: http://meetupblog.meetup.com/

            For those of you who don't know MeetUp, it's an online place where people can
            organize groups based on some common interest. There are groups for hiking,
            dancing, mushroom picking, you name it. I am active here in the D.C. area with
            the Slovak meetup group. We work closely with SASW (the group Helen is in), and
            get together to go to the movies, happy hours, festivals, etc...

          • CurtB
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 6, 2010
              Julie,
              The Greek/Latin stuff is not so important. I was just pointing out that early Christianity was Greek speaking and not Latin speaking. So for the first 300 years the Christians have Greek names and the early saints are Greek named. The New Testament was written originally in Greek and Christianity spread throughout the empire among Greek speakers. Latin doesn't get used much until the 4th century. That is when St. Vincentius appears in Spain, martyred under Diocletian, and the name Vincentius spread quickly in every European martyrology, or saint list. I think St. Augustine picked the 21 Jan date for the liturgical celebration.

              CB

            • Edward T. Surkosky
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 6, 2010
                I imagine Vincentia would be a feminine form of Vincent. St. Vincent de Paul
                founded an order of nuns that are commonly called the Vincentian Sisters. If
                there were no St. Vincentia then they would celebrate St. Vincent as their
                patron.

                Ed Surkosky

                > You've made an interesting find. There is no modern equivalent because it
                > is so rare. The name itself is interesting because it is just a female
                > equivalent of Vincentius. Vincentia/Vicentius are interesting names
                > because their origin is late Christian Latin era, and not Greek as most
                > Christian names. THe name is not found in Classical Latin. Its origins
                > are obscure but is assumed it comes from the verb to conquer. The name
                > Vincentia spread into Italian, Portuguese, and Spanish but not into
                > French. It got borrowed and used a bit in Bavaria, but even rare there.
                > In name calendars one finds separate name days for both male and female
                > names like Miloslav and Miloslava, but not for Vincent Vincentia.The
                > reason it is not found in the name calendars of Czech, Slovak, Hungarian
                > or Polish, is simply because it is NOT a saint's name. The name day is
                > traditionally assigned because of the celebration of a saint's feast day.
                > These days have changed over the years because of many revisions of church
                > calendars. There was no saint Vincentia, thus no name day. There have
                > been a few recent canonizations, so Vincentia now does appear in the Roman
                > Martyrology.
                >
                > But to use the name in the time you found it means someone went out of
                > their way to use an unusual name, and not that of a saint.
                >
                > Curt B.
                >

                > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Julie Michutka <jmm@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> I'm having trouble with one name: 1860 Slovak baptismal record,
                >> recorded in Latin, girl's name Vincentia; what's the modern Slovak
                >> equivalent? I'm not finding it on my name list....
                >>
                >> D'akujem,
                >>
                >> Julie Michutka
                >> jmm@...

              • George Sirko
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 7, 2010
                  Julie,
                  Thanks. My misunderstanding. Happy Holidays to Everyone.
                  George