Re: [Slovak-World] Slovak equivalent of Vincentia

  • William C. Wormuth
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 6, 2010
      Ulis~a,

      Je to tak! http://www.sk-spell.sk.cx/slovniky/index.php/list/21/3,V.xhtml

      ________________________________
      From: Julie Michutka <jmm@...>
      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sun, December 5, 2010 7:40:22 PM
      Subject: [Slovak-World] Slovak equivalent of Vincentia

      I'm having trouble with one name: 1860 Slovak baptismal record,
      recorded in Latin, girl's name Vincentia; what's the modern Slovak
      equivalent? I'm not finding it on my name list....

      D'akujem,

      Julie Michutka
      jmm@...

    • CurtB
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 6, 2010
        Julie,
        You've made an interesting find. There is no modern equivalent because it is so rare. The name itself is interesting because it is just a female equivalent of Vincentius. Vincentia/Vicentius are interesting names because their origin is late Christian Latin era, and not Greek as most Christian names. THe name is not found in Classical Latin. Its origins are obscure but is assumed it comes from the verb to conquer. The name Vincentia spread into Italian, Portuguese, and Spanish but not into French. It got borrowed and used a bit in Bavaria, but even rare there.
        In name calendars one finds separate name days for both male and female names like Miloslav and Miloslava, but not for Vincent Vincentia.The reason it is not found in the name calendars of Czech, Slovak, Hungarian or Polish, is simply because it is NOT a saint's name. The name day is traditionally assigned because of the celebration of a saint's feast day. These days have changed over the years because of many revisions of church calendars. There was no saint Vincentia, thus no name day. There have been a few recent canonizations, so Vincentia now does appear in the Roman Martyrology.

        But to use the name in the time you found it means someone went out of their way to use an unusual name, and not that of a saint.

        Curt B.

        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Julie Michutka <jmm@...> wrote:

        > I'm having trouble with one name: 1860 Slovak baptismal record,
        > recorded in Latin, girl's name Vincentia; what's the modern Slovak
        > equivalent? I'm not finding it on my name list....
        >
        > D'akujem,
        >
        > Julie Michutka
        > jmm@...

      • Julie Michutka
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 6, 2010
          Awesome, thanks! So that final -t on Vincent gets changed for the
          feminine form. What a great resource!

          Julie

          On Dec 6, 2010, at 2:16 PM, William C. Wormuth wrote:

          > Ulis~a,
          >
          > Je to tak! http://www.sk-spell.sk.cx/slovniky/index.php/list/21/3,V.xhtml
          >

          > ________________________________
          > From: Julie Michutka <jmm@...>
          >
          > I'm having trouble with one name: 1860 Slovak baptismal record,
          > recorded in Latin, girl's name Vincentia; what's the modern Slovak
          > equivalent? I'm not finding it on my name list....
          >
          > D'akujem,
          >
          > Julie Michutka
          > jmm@...
        • Julie Michutka
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 6, 2010
            Hi Curt,

            Interesting point about Greek vs Latin names; I'll have to think on
            that one. Vincent is just straight from the Latin imperfective active
            participle, "conquering."

            I'd wonder if this were an illegitimate birth, b/c those kids
            sometimes get the odd names (altho' what's odd in one village isn't
            necessarily odd in another), but this girl and her twin Agnes were the
            last in a large family. Vincentia (now Vincencia!) died young, so I
            have her name documented twice.

            I don't know what to make of her family using an unusual name; or, her
            godparents choosing it.... I wonder sometimes how strictly that custom
            was followed, that the godparents named the child. And there are
            times when I'm reading through the parish registers when I could swear
            that the priest is choosing the names for a stretch of time.

            Thanks to all who helped!

            Julie Michutka
            jmm@...

            On Dec 6, 2010, at 3:58 PM, CurtB wrote:

            > Julie,
            > You've made an interesting find. There is no modern equivalent
            > because it is so rare. The name itself is interesting because it is
            > just a female equivalent of Vincentius. Vincentia/Vicentius are
            > interesting names because their origin is late Christian Latin era,
            > and not Greek as most Christian names. THe name is not found in
            > Classical Latin. Its origins are obscure but is assumed it comes
            > from the verb to conquer. The name Vincentia spread into Italian,
            > Portuguese, and Spanish but not into French. It got borrowed and
            > used a bit in Bavaria, but even rare there.
            > In name calendars one finds separate name days for both male and
            > female names like Miloslav and Miloslava, but not for Vincent
            > Vincentia.The reason it is not found in the name calendars of Czech,
            > Slovak, Hungarian or Polish, is simply because it is NOT a saint's
            > name. The name day is traditionally assigned because of the
            > celebration of a saint's feast day. These days have changed over
            > the years because of many revisions of church calendars. There was
            > no saint Vincentia, thus no name day. There have been a few recent
            > canonizations, so Vincentia now does appear in the Roman Martyrology.
            >
            > But to use the name in the time you found it means someone went out
            > of their way to use an unusual name, and not that of a saint.
            >
            > Curt B.
            >

            > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Julie Michutka <jmm@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> I'm having trouble with one name: 1860 Slovak baptismal record,
            >> recorded in Latin, girl's name Vincentia; what's the modern Slovak
            >> equivalent? I'm not finding it on my name list....
            >>
            >> D'akujem,
            >>
            >> Julie Michutka
            >> jmm@...

          • Lubos Brieda
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 6, 2010
              Julie, how about Vincentka Van Gogova?
              :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrQYcXsvtck
              -- Lubos Brieda --
              Slovak recipes: www.slovakcooking.com

              Hikes and travel: www.iamlubos.com

              ________________________________
              Interesting point about Greek vs Latin names; I'll have to think on
              that one. Vincent is just straight from the Latin imperfective active
              participle, "conquering."

              I'd wonder if this were an illegitimate birth, b/c those kids
              sometimes get the odd names (altho' what's odd in one village isn't
              necessarily odd in another), but this girl and her twin Agnes were the
              last in a large family. Vincentia (now Vincencia!) died young, so I
              have her name documented twice.

              I don't know what to make of her family using an unusual name; or, her
              godparents choosing it.... I wonder sometimes how strictly that custom
              was followed, that the godparents named the child. And there are
              times when I'm reading through the parish registers when I could swear
              that the priest is choosing the names for a stretch of time.

              Thanks to all who helped!

              Julie Michutka
              jmm@...

              On Dec 6, 2010, at 3:58 PM, CurtB wrote:

              > Julie,
              > You've made an interesting find. There is no modern equivalent
              > because it is so rare. The name itself is interesting because it is
              > just a female equivalent of Vincentius. Vincentia/Vicentius are
              > interesting names because their origin is late Christian Latin era,
              > and not Greek as most Christian names. THe name is not found in
              > Classical Latin. Its origins are obscure but is assumed it comes
              > from the verb to conquer. The name Vincentia spread into Italian,
              > Portuguese, and Spanish but not into French. It got borrowed and
              > used a bit in Bavaria, but even rare there.
              > In name calendars one finds separate name days for both male and
              > female names like Miloslav and Miloslava, but not for Vincent
              > Vincentia.The reason it is not found in the name calendars of Czech,
              > Slovak, Hungarian or Polish, is simply because it is NOT a saint's
              > name. The name day is traditionally assigned because of the
              > celebration of a saint's feast day. These days have changed over
              > the years because of many revisions of church calendars. There was
              > no saint Vincentia, thus no name day. There have been a few recent
              > canonizations, so Vincentia now does appear in the Roman Martyrology.
              >
              > But to use the name in the time you found it means someone went out
              > of their way to use an unusual name, and not that of a saint.
              >
              > Curt B.
              >

              > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Julie Michutka <jmm@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> I'm having trouble with one name: 1860 Slovak baptismal record,
              >> recorded in Latin, girl's name Vincentia; what's the modern Slovak
              >> equivalent? I'm not finding it on my name list....
              >>
              >> D'akujem,
              >>
              >> Julie Michutka
              >> jmm@...

            • Lubos Brieda
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 6, 2010
                Oh, and by the way, check this out: http://meetupblog.meetup.com/

                For those of you who don't know MeetUp, it's an online place where people can
                organize groups based on some common interest. There are groups for hiking,
                dancing, mushroom picking, you name it. I am active here in the D.C. area with
                the Slovak meetup group. We work closely with SASW (the group Helen is in), and
                get together to go to the movies, happy hours, festivals, etc...

              • CurtB
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 6, 2010
                  Julie,
                  The Greek/Latin stuff is not so important. I was just pointing out that early Christianity was Greek speaking and not Latin speaking. So for the first 300 years the Christians have Greek names and the early saints are Greek named. The New Testament was written originally in Greek and Christianity spread throughout the empire among Greek speakers. Latin doesn't get used much until the 4th century. That is when St. Vincentius appears in Spain, martyred under Diocletian, and the name Vincentius spread quickly in every European martyrology, or saint list. I think St. Augustine picked the 21 Jan date for the liturgical celebration.

                  CB

                • Edward T. Surkosky
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 6, 2010
                    I imagine Vincentia would be a feminine form of Vincent. St. Vincent de Paul
                    founded an order of nuns that are commonly called the Vincentian Sisters. If
                    there were no St. Vincentia then they would celebrate St. Vincent as their
                    patron.

                    Ed Surkosky

                    > You've made an interesting find. There is no modern equivalent because it
                    > is so rare. The name itself is interesting because it is just a female
                    > equivalent of Vincentius. Vincentia/Vicentius are interesting names
                    > because their origin is late Christian Latin era, and not Greek as most
                    > Christian names. THe name is not found in Classical Latin. Its origins
                    > are obscure but is assumed it comes from the verb to conquer. The name
                    > Vincentia spread into Italian, Portuguese, and Spanish but not into
                    > French. It got borrowed and used a bit in Bavaria, but even rare there.
                    > In name calendars one finds separate name days for both male and female
                    > names like Miloslav and Miloslava, but not for Vincent Vincentia.The
                    > reason it is not found in the name calendars of Czech, Slovak, Hungarian
                    > or Polish, is simply because it is NOT a saint's name. The name day is
                    > traditionally assigned because of the celebration of a saint's feast day.
                    > These days have changed over the years because of many revisions of church
                    > calendars. There was no saint Vincentia, thus no name day. There have
                    > been a few recent canonizations, so Vincentia now does appear in the Roman
                    > Martyrology.
                    >
                    > But to use the name in the time you found it means someone went out of
                    > their way to use an unusual name, and not that of a saint.
                    >
                    > Curt B.
                    >

                    > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Julie Michutka <jmm@...> wrote:
                    >>
                    >> I'm having trouble with one name: 1860 Slovak baptismal record,
                    >> recorded in Latin, girl's name Vincentia; what's the modern Slovak
                    >> equivalent? I'm not finding it on my name list....
                    >>
                    >> D'akujem,
                    >>
                    >> Julie Michutka
                    >> jmm@...

                  • George Sirko
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 7, 2010
                      Julie,
                      Thanks. My misunderstanding. Happy Holidays to Everyone.
                      George