Re: Folk trade--3

  • lcwynar
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 3, 2010
      Helen,

      I have been reading your postings on Folk Trade which I have found very interesting. With your knowledge of the trades and Slovakia I wondered if you could offer me an opinion.

      My great great grandfather was a shoemaker in Secovce and then Tusice. He was listed in the Industry and Trade directory of Hungary in 1891. He came from a family of shoemakers - both his father and father-in-law were shoemakers. The shoemaker trade seems to be a business that was passed down through the family but none of my great great grandfather 5 sons took over the family business. Their marriage records in Slovakia indicate that they were farmers. The reason my great great grandfather's sons did not become shoemakers could be as simple as they did not want to be shoemakers. But I am wondering if at that time (late 1800's) there may have been economic or trade reasons for them not entering the family business. Any thoughts?

      Thanks,

      Linda

      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Fedor, Helen" <hfed@...> wrote:

      > Authors from even earlier than the first half of the 19th century noted a wide range of traders in Slovakia who were trading in a variety of goods. One of the first authors, J'an C~aplovic~, made a list of such traders. He included not only itinerant traders in the strict sense of the word, but also craftsmen who played an important role in internal and foreign trade by shipping their products to nearby or remote areas, and to markets and fairs.
      >
      > According to C~aplovic~, who was an observer of the situation at that time, the important Slovak traders of that time were oil men (traders in medicinal oils, preparations, and also cures), traders in oils (in linseed oil for cooking [although Wikipedia says "...because of its strong flavor and odor, [it] is only a minor constituent of human nutrition...."]), gin men (sellers of a liquor distilled from juniper berries), saffron men (growers and sellers of saffron),(1) lace makers,
      >
      > linen weavers or bag-makers (selling fabric for mill bags), tanners and dealers in hides, makers of sheep's milk cheese, butter makers, cattle traders, glaziers (glazing of windows), glass workers (selling blown glass), wax makers (selling bees' wax), honey-cake bakers, traders in grains, traders in fruits and vegetables, rag-and-bone men (collectors of old textiles), sellers of field fares [fowlers?] (a thrush, Turdus pilaris < http://www.naturephoto-cz.eu/pic/aves/turdus-pilaris-6699.jpg >), potters, and blacksmiths.

      > All opinions my own

    • Fedor, Helen
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 3, 2010
        Whoa, you give me credit for knowing way too much. The one who might know the answer is Martin. The main reason I'm posted these texts is so that _I_ can learn something.

        That said, in an upcoming post next week (I work a few segments ahead, to give me time to review the text a 2nd time), the author says that various regulations liberalized trade in the second half of the 19th century, but she doesn't go on to say what they were.