RE: [Slovak-World] Re: Salman

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 15, 2010
      SW contributors:

      I think the thread alluded to his wife's possible East European ancestry.

      I read my emails from most recent to older, which is why I ask questions that have previously been answered.

      Please forgive my madness.  I hope it does not dilute my enthusiasm for those here.

      cjw

      From: votrubam <votrubam@...<mailto:votrubam%40yahoo.com>>
      Subject: [Slovak-World] Re: Recent Slovak names
      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com<mailto:Slovak-World%40yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Sunday, November 14, 2010, 4:09 PM

      > Salman Rushdie's new novel _Luka and the Fire of Life_ is named

      > for his younger son, whose full name is Milan Luka Rushdie.

      It's from the Hindi word milana:

      <http://tinyurl.com/2cj57am>

      Rushdie said he chose it because his son "mingles" his own origin and his mother's Englishness (i.e., not after Kundera, an obvious potential source).