2010 Pitt Festival

  • dragansk
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 8, 2010
      The Slovak Heritage Festival at Pitt on Sunday was excellent -- very well attended. I've included a few photos in the Photos section of this group if anyone would like to see them -- folder is 2010 Pitt Festival.
      Dennis
    • e.gernat@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 8, 2010
          Hi How do I get into those photos?  edie

        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 8, 2010
          Normally you would go to "Visit My Group," although I'm not sure if that link is in the same position on everyone's Slovak-World e-mail. On my "digest" version via yahoo, it's on the right side. From there, the "Photps" section link is on the left sidebar. Hope that helps.

          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, e.gernat@... wrote:

          >   Hi How do I get into those photos?  edie

        • sue_groh
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 8, 2010
            I've added a few photos from the festival, also. I was unable to orient one of Ben Sorenson playing the fujara correctly. It was a lively event in a beautiful place!
          • helene cincebeaux
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 8, 2010
              Thanks to all the Slovak World members who came to last week's events

              - my "Slovakia! Traditions Old & New" book christening at the Slovak Embassy on
              Thurs. was something else

              - and the really special Slovak event in Johnstown PA on Fri. was incredibly
              heart-warming

              - our Slovak Party Sat. fun as always

              - and the super Pitt Slovak Festival on Sun.

              they were all wonderful!!!!!!

              Great to see Helen Fedor - we are starting a new Helenka Society, and Bill Brna,
              Joe Armata, Juliana Zarzycki, Lubos Brieda, Martin Votruba, Vilo Wormuth, Eva
              Smith, Ben and Milka Sorensen, Dr. Q - (their fujara duo was a big hit - took
              first prize AGAIN); then some Zdiar Slivovice really fueled a super jam session
              with Ben playing guitar and all singing "American Pie"

              Saw others too - just home and brain is fried from a wild week on the road and I
              go to India on Wed.

              Lubos' talk at the Festival was a huge success - he had 100 people lined up
              waiting to get in. And Ben was featured in a large photo in the Pittsburgh
              newspaper playing the fujara!

              helene

              ________________________________
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 8, 2010
                Hi everybody, it was great meeting the Slovak World folks face to face. Martin -
                thank you for an amazing event!! I posted pictures to Facebook, I think you
                should be able to see them even if you don't have a Facebook account. If not,
                then let me know and I'll try to adjust the privacy settings. Here is the
                link: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=247038&id=120095713564
                -- Lubos Brieda --
                Get your free Slovak recipe book at www.slovakcooking.com/brochure

                ________________________________
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 9, 2010
                    Thanx for sharing these pix of Ole friends.
                  Reminds me of the Red Roof pre party get together days.
                  Like the photo of the Cathedral of Learning makes me Homesick.
                     FG Kovalyak   (Class of 63 Pitt)

                  ________________________________

                  I've added a few photos from the festival, also. I was unable to orient one of
                  Ben Sorenson playing the fujara correctly.  It was a lively event in a beautiful

                  place!

                • genmom4
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 9, 2010
                    My husband and I were also able to attend the festivities at Pitt this year. We certainly had a wonderful time. It was great to see Helen and Helene as well as Lubos and a brief introduction to Ben. We would have loved to see Lubos' cooking, but the room was jam-packed with observers. How wonderful was that?
                    I have some photos and some movies on my flickr site at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jrcrazy/sets/72157625347848002/with/5161536408/
                    Feel free to take a peek if you are interesting in seeing some of the fun: Ben playing the fujari and singing, Helene getting only 5 seconds of fame on this one, as well as some of the other performers.
                    It truly is great getting people together to celebrate our heritage. It is obvious that a LOT of work goes into planning such an event, and I just want to say that my husband and I are both appreciative of the efforts that were made by all of those who were responsible.

                    Barbara
                  • Lubos Brieda
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 9, 2010
                      Hi Barb, the room was so packed! We had no idea there would be so much interest
                      in the cooking lesson. At least for the first part, making kapustnica. Many
                      people left, so the second part of making baked goods was much more manageable.

                      Speaking of food, here is my dinner from last
                      night: http://www.slovakcooking.com/2010/recipes/horseradish-sauce/ It was
                      delicious!

                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 9, 2010
                        Tentative schedule for 2011?

                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 9, 2010
                          Hi - next year's Slovak Festival at Pitt will be on Sunday Nov 6 - always the
                          first Sunday in November. and we have our Slovak Party the night before so Nov
                          5. Would love to see you then - good to have advance notice.

                          cheers

                          helene

                          ________________________________

                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 16, 2010
                            I have marked my calendar.  If I am not working that weekend, I w/b there.  If I have been laid off, I will not, unfortunately.

                            Always the time/money conundrum.  I have more of one than the other.  But never lots of both.

                            From: helene cincebeaux <helenezx@...>

                            To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com

                            From: sue_groh <s.groh@...>

                            I've added a few photos from the festival, also. I was unable to orient one of

                            Ben Sorenson playing the fujara correctly. It was a lively event in a beautiful

                            place!

                          • William C. Wormuth
                            Message 13 of 15 , Dec 29, 2010
                              Lubos is now a star in Google Heaven.  His Article  was published in the Google Slovak news:

                              Google Alert - slovakia news

                              Chamomile Steam for the Cold - Slovakia Blog
                              By lubos
                              Here is a list from Pluska.sk, popular Slovak news
                              magazine. The text below is more-or-less directly translated from the
                              original. Rosemary (rozmarín): use two twigs of fresh rosemary or two
                              tablespoons of dried rosemary in one liter of ...
                              Slovak Cooking - http://www.slovakcooking.com/

                              Z Bohom,

                              Vilo

                            • Lubos Brieda
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jan 3, 2011
                                Really? Neat, this is news to me!

                                -- Lubos Brieda --
                                Slovak recipes: www.slovakcooking.com

                                Hikes and travel: www.iamlubos.com

                                ________________________________

                                Message 15 of 15 , Jan 4, 2011
                                   The knowledge and talents of people in this group are amazing -

                                  Special thanks to Frank Plichta and Sue "Zuza" Groh who so kindly responded to
                                  my request for the Christmas Drink - this is the reply I received from the
                                  person who requested it for her 93 year old father and I wanted to share it

                                  "Thank you for this recipe.  I want to thank you especially for taking the time
                                  and effort to help me in my search.  I am overwhelmed by yours and everyone
                                  else's kindness.  God bless each and eveyone of you."

                                  I thought this was sooo nice!

                                  Happy New Year!

                                  helene