Re: [Slovak-World] "The Invisible Bridge" by Julie Orringer

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 3, 2010
      Please forgive.

      --- On Tue, 11/2/10, smudsville@... <smudsville@...> wrote:

      From: smudsville@... <smudsville@...>
      Subject: Re: [Slovak-World] "The Invisible Bridge" by Julie Orringer
      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, November 2, 2010, 8:22 PM

      By the lack of response, I wondered if I had asked an improper cultural question...dlb

      From: LongJohn Wayne <daxthewarrior@...>

      Sender: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com

      Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 13:38:10

      To: <Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com>

      I must have missed the reply.  Could someone reiterate?

      Helen?  Martin?  Ben?

      From: Diana Boggs <ssmudsville@...>

      To: slovak-world@yahoogroups.com

      Date: Sunday, October 31, 2010, 1:01 AM

      I am intensely interested in how "greater hungary" history and how the peoples lived, particularly hunters, which is why I picked up the above book.

      I recommend it with cautions. It is about a Hungarian Jewish family before, during & after WWII. The beginning is slow and the end is fast. I didn't mind the slowness because the writing style with details is immaculate. How a woman could write so knowledgeable about war is truly amazing. Much of the book or rather the war stories take place in Slovakia and Ruthenia

      The book reminded me a lot of "Gone With The Wind" by Margaret Mitchell, who was accused of not writing the book because it contained so much detail.

      The one thing I could not understand was why they called it "The Invisible Bridge".

      Can someone tell me why select that title and recommend more books (fiction or non-fiction) that cover greater Hungarian life, particularly hunting, from 1920 to 1955?

      Diana Boggs

      thevizslaksentinel.com

      vizslavizipedia.com

      vizslavizsmithsonian.com

    • Diana Boggs
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 3, 2010
        Me, as well. But unless one asks, you will not know. This listserv crosses cultural lines some times and some times not. I didn't read this book, I listened to it which really drew me into the story without having to work at it. The reader pronounced the word "magyar" not like I thought it was pronounced. He sounded more like "medya"...dlb

        By the lack of response, I wondered if I had asked an improper cultural question...dlb

        From: LongJohn Wayne <daxthewarrior@...>

        Sender: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com

        Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 13:38:10

        To: <Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com>