Re: [Slovak-World] "The Invisible Bridge" by Julie Orringer

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 2, 2010
      I must have missed the reply.  Could someone reiterate?

      Helen?  Martin?  Ben?

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 2, 2010
        By the lack of response, I wondered if I had asked an improper cultural question...dlb

        From: LongJohn Wayne <daxthewarrior@...>
        Sender: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 13:38:10
        To: <Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com>

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 2, 2010
          > I must have missed the reply.  Could someone reiterate?

          You missed nothing. The book has nothing to do with Slovakia. The country or its people come up 2-3 times in all of its about 600 pages, Kosice is spelled Kassa. It is a work of fiction, not a history book (nor, obviously, one that teaches geography), whose author did not locate her story in Slovakia.

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 3, 2010
            Martin:

            Thank you as always.  I regret my ignorance.

            In spite of that, thank you for revealing & removing it.

            Indebted,
            Chuck

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 3, 2010
              Please forgive.

              By the lack of response, I wondered if I had asked an improper cultural question...dlb

              From: LongJohn Wayne <daxthewarrior@...>

              Sender: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com

              Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 13:38:10

              To: <Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com>

              From: Diana Boggs <ssmudsville@...>

              To: slovak-world@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 3, 2010
                Me, as well. But unless one asks, you will not know. This listserv crosses cultural lines some times and some times not. I didn't read this book, I listened to it which really drew me into the story without having to work at it. The reader pronounced the word "magyar" not like I thought it was pronounced. He sounded more like "medya"...dlb

                By the lack of response, I wondered if I had asked an improper cultural question...dlb

                From: LongJohn Wayne <daxthewarrior@...>

                Sender: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com

                Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 13:38:10

                To: <Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com>