Re: All Souls Day in Slovakia

  • dragansk
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 1, 2010
      Isn't today (Nov. 1) Sviatok vsetkych svatych, which I thought was All Saints Day? In the U.S., All Saints Day is Nov. 1 and All Souls Day is Nov. 2. By the way, today is also the Slovak name -- meniny -- day for all of us named Dennis out there.
      Dennis

      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <greg@...> wrote:

      > All Souls Day can be rather spectacular in parts of Slovakia
      >
      > http://www.iarelative.com/history/all_souls.htm
      >
      > Greg

    • Lubos Brieda
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 1, 2010
        that's right. Tomorrow (all souls day) is one of the few Slovak days without a
        "name". The others are January 1st, May 1st and Christmas
        Day, http://www.slovakcooking.com/2010/blog/name-day/

        Happy nameday, Dennis!
        -- Lubos Brieda --
        Get your free Slovak recipe book at www.slovakcooking.com/brochure

        ________________________________
        Isn't today (Nov. 1) Sviatok vsetkych svatych, which I thought was All Saints
        Day? In the U.S., All Saints Day is Nov. 1 and All Souls Day is Nov. 2. By the
        way, today is also the Slovak name -- meniny -- day for all of us named Dennis
        out there.
        Dennis

        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <greg@...> wrote:

        > All Souls Day can be rather spectacular in parts of Slovakia
        >
        > http://www.iarelative.com/history/all_souls.htm
        >
        > Greg

      • stephanie nelson
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 1, 2010
          happy name day!!

          Stephanie Nelson

          Happy moments, PRAISE GOD. Difficult moments, SEEK GOD.
          Quiet moments, WORSHIP GOD.
          Painful moments, TRUST GOD. Every moment, THANK GOD

          ________________________________
          Isn't today (Nov. 1) Sviatok vsetkych svatych, which I thought was All Saints
          Day? In the U.S., All Saints Day is Nov. 1 and All Souls Day is Nov. 2. By the
          way, today is also the Slovak name -- meniny -- day for all of us named Dennis
          out there.
          Dennis

          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <greg@...> wrote:

          > All Souls Day can be rather spectacular in parts of Slovakia
          >
          > http://www.iarelative.com/history/all_souls.htm
          >
          > Greg

        • Eve Smith
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 1, 2010
            Thanks so much for this information, Greg. I posted my family's remembrance there.

          • Lou
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 16, 2010
              I've just returned from Slovakia - Bratislava, Kosice & Michalovce. I chose this time of the yeato visit because I wanted to see as much of my tribe as possible. I was successful - most of my cousins showed up and friends too at the cemetery. A lot of car traffic since everybody goes back home for the occasion. Servus, Laci Bolchazy

              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 17, 2010
                Lou:

                Thank you for sharing your pictures & experiences here.

                Welcome home.

                Chuck