Re: [Slovak-World] All Souls Day in Slovakia

  • smudsville@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 1, 2010
      Hmmm...ty, I would have thought that hell needed no help staying hot. Your thought though gives hope that if the devil is ever destroyed (or neutered) hell becomes not hell. Pennsylavania is a coal state and was home for many from czech republic and slovakia. Perhaps my own understanding a lump of coal really did come fRom appalachia AND slovakia...dlb

      From: Lubos Brieda <lbrieda@...>
      Sender: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 20:46:37
      To: <Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: Re: [Slovak-World] All Souls Day in Slovakia

      my guess is that it symbolizes a giftcoming from the devil. In Slovakia, the
      devil is typically pictured placing more coals into the Hell furnace - gotta
      keep the hell hot...
      -- Lubos Brieda --
      Get your free Slovak recipe book at www.slovakcooking.com/brochure

      ________________________________
      From: Lubos Brieda <lbrieda@...>
      Sender: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 12:19:34
      To: <Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com>

      Thanks for the info, Greg! And also Happy Halloween to all. Although Halloween
      is not something that is celebrated in Slovakia. The main Slovak "dress-up" time

      is fašiangy, the time prior the start of Easter lent (think Mardi Gras). There
      is also some dressing up around Christmas, such as the St. Lucia day - when
      girls dressed in white and went house to house "dusting corners" (vymetať kúty)
      - and St. Nicholas Day. For St. Nicholas, boys dressed up as St. Nick (Mikuláš),

      a devil/demon (čert), and an angel (anjel). They would reward good kids with
      candy or fruit and the bad ones with a lump of coal.

      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 1, 2010
        I remember being a little kid, putting my shoe outside for Saint Nicholas and getting many lumps of coal. I thought it was a German tradition. My German mother was the one who insisted that I put my shoe out. It wasn't until last year that I learned it was an Eastern European tradition.

        My bday is nov 1. Where did lump of coal originate? I always thought it was
        appAlachian american...dlb

        All Souls Day can be rather spectacular in parts of Slovakia

        http://www.iarelative.com/history/all_souls.htm

        Greg

      • dragansk
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 1, 2010
          Isn't today (Nov. 1) Sviatok vsetkych svatych, which I thought was All Saints Day? In the U.S., All Saints Day is Nov. 1 and All Souls Day is Nov. 2. By the way, today is also the Slovak name -- meniny -- day for all of us named Dennis out there.
          Dennis

          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <greg@...> wrote:

          > All Souls Day can be rather spectacular in parts of Slovakia
          >
          > http://www.iarelative.com/history/all_souls.htm
          >
          > Greg

        • Lubos Brieda
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 1, 2010
            that's right. Tomorrow (all souls day) is one of the few Slovak days without a
            "name". The others are January 1st, May 1st and Christmas
            Day, http://www.slovakcooking.com/2010/blog/name-day/

            Happy nameday, Dennis!
            -- Lubos Brieda --
            Get your free Slovak recipe book at www.slovakcooking.com/brochure

            ________________________________
            Isn't today (Nov. 1) Sviatok vsetkych svatych, which I thought was All Saints
            Day? In the U.S., All Saints Day is Nov. 1 and All Souls Day is Nov. 2. By the
            way, today is also the Slovak name -- meniny -- day for all of us named Dennis
            out there.
            Dennis

            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <greg@...> wrote:

            > All Souls Day can be rather spectacular in parts of Slovakia
            >
            > http://www.iarelative.com/history/all_souls.htm
            >
            > Greg

          • stephanie nelson
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 1, 2010
              happy name day!!

              Stephanie Nelson

              Happy moments, PRAISE GOD. Difficult moments, SEEK GOD.
              Quiet moments, WORSHIP GOD.
              Painful moments, TRUST GOD. Every moment, THANK GOD

              ________________________________
              Isn't today (Nov. 1) Sviatok vsetkych svatych, which I thought was All Saints
              Day? In the U.S., All Saints Day is Nov. 1 and All Souls Day is Nov. 2. By the
              way, today is also the Slovak name -- meniny -- day for all of us named Dennis
              out there.
              Dennis

              --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <greg@...> wrote:

              > All Souls Day can be rather spectacular in parts of Slovakia
              >
              > http://www.iarelative.com/history/all_souls.htm
              >
              > Greg

            • Eve Smith
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 1, 2010
                Thanks so much for this information, Greg. I posted my family's remembrance there.

              • Lou
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 16, 2010
                  I've just returned from Slovakia - Bratislava, Kosice & Michalovce. I chose this time of the yeato visit because I wanted to see as much of my tribe as possible. I was successful - most of my cousins showed up and friends too at the cemetery. A lot of car traffic since everybody goes back home for the occasion. Servus, Laci Bolchazy

                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 17, 2010
                    Lou:

                    Thank you for sharing your pictures & experiences here.

                    Welcome home.

                    Chuck