Re: [Slovak-World] All Souls Day in Slovakia

  • Lubos Brieda
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 31, 2010
      my guess is that it symbolizes a giftcoming from the devil. In Slovakia, the
      devil is typically pictured placing more coals into the Hell furnace - gotta
      keep the hell hot...
      -- Lubos Brieda --
      Get your free Slovak recipe book at www.slovakcooking.com/brochure

      ________________________________
      From: Lubos Brieda <lbrieda@...>
      Sender: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 12:19:34
      To: <Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com>

      Thanks for the info, Greg! And also Happy Halloween to all. Although Halloween
      is not something that is celebrated in Slovakia. The main Slovak "dress-up" time

      is fašiangy, the time prior the start of Easter lent (think Mardi Gras). There
      is also some dressing up around Christmas, such as the St. Lucia day - when
      girls dressed in white and went house to house "dusting corners" (vymetať kúty)
      - and St. Nicholas Day. For St. Nicholas, boys dressed up as St. Nick (Mikuláš),

      a devil/demon (čert), and an angel (anjel). They would reward good kids with
      candy or fruit and the bad ones with a lump of coal.

      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 1, 2010
        Hmmm...ty, I would have thought that hell needed no help staying hot. Your thought though gives hope that if the devil is ever destroyed (or neutered) hell becomes not hell. Pennsylavania is a coal state and was home for many from czech republic and slovakia. Perhaps my own understanding a lump of coal really did come fRom appalachia AND slovakia...dlb

      • j_coulter77@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 1, 2010
          I remember being a little kid, putting my shoe outside for Saint Nicholas and getting many lumps of coal. I thought it was a German tradition. My German mother was the one who insisted that I put my shoe out. It wasn't until last year that I learned it was an Eastern European tradition.

          My bday is nov 1. Where did lump of coal originate? I always thought it was
          appAlachian american...dlb

          All Souls Day can be rather spectacular in parts of Slovakia

          http://www.iarelative.com/history/all_souls.htm

          Greg

        • dragansk
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 1, 2010
            Isn't today (Nov. 1) Sviatok vsetkych svatych, which I thought was All Saints Day? In the U.S., All Saints Day is Nov. 1 and All Souls Day is Nov. 2. By the way, today is also the Slovak name -- meniny -- day for all of us named Dennis out there.
            Dennis

            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <greg@...> wrote:

            > All Souls Day can be rather spectacular in parts of Slovakia
            >
            > http://www.iarelative.com/history/all_souls.htm
            >
            > Greg

          • Lubos Brieda
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 1, 2010
              that's right. Tomorrow (all souls day) is one of the few Slovak days without a
              "name". The others are January 1st, May 1st and Christmas
              Day, http://www.slovakcooking.com/2010/blog/name-day/

              Happy nameday, Dennis!
              -- Lubos Brieda --
              Get your free Slovak recipe book at www.slovakcooking.com/brochure

              ________________________________
              Isn't today (Nov. 1) Sviatok vsetkych svatych, which I thought was All Saints
              Day? In the U.S., All Saints Day is Nov. 1 and All Souls Day is Nov. 2. By the
              way, today is also the Slovak name -- meniny -- day for all of us named Dennis
              out there.
              Dennis

              --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <greg@...> wrote:

              > All Souls Day can be rather spectacular in parts of Slovakia
              >
              > http://www.iarelative.com/history/all_souls.htm
              >
              > Greg

            • stephanie nelson
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 1, 2010
                happy name day!!

                Stephanie Nelson

                Happy moments, PRAISE GOD. Difficult moments, SEEK GOD.
                Quiet moments, WORSHIP GOD.
                Painful moments, TRUST GOD. Every moment, THANK GOD

                ________________________________
                Isn't today (Nov. 1) Sviatok vsetkych svatych, which I thought was All Saints
                Day? In the U.S., All Saints Day is Nov. 1 and All Souls Day is Nov. 2. By the
                way, today is also the Slovak name -- meniny -- day for all of us named Dennis
                out there.
                Dennis

                --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <greg@...> wrote:

                > All Souls Day can be rather spectacular in parts of Slovakia
                >
                > http://www.iarelative.com/history/all_souls.htm
                >
                > Greg

              • Eve Smith
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 1, 2010
                  Thanks so much for this information, Greg. I posted my family's remembrance there.

                • Lou
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 16, 2010
                    I've just returned from Slovakia - Bratislava, Kosice & Michalovce. I chose this time of the yeato visit because I wanted to see as much of my tribe as possible. I was successful - most of my cousins showed up and friends too at the cemetery. A lot of car traffic since everybody goes back home for the occasion. Servus, Laci Bolchazy

                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 17, 2010
                      Lou:

                      Thank you for sharing your pictures & experiences here.

                      Welcome home.

                      Chuck