All Souls Day in Slovakia

  • Greg
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 31, 2010
      All Souls Day can be rather spectacular in parts of Slovakia

      http://www.iarelative.com/history/all_souls.htm

      Greg
    • Lubos Brieda
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 31, 2010
        Thanks for the info, Greg! And also Happy Halloween to all. Although Halloween
        is not something that is celebrated in Slovakia. The main Slovak "dress-up" time
        is fašiangy, the time prior the start of Easter lent (think Mardi Gras). There
        is also some dressing up around Christmas, such as the St. Lucia day - when
        girls dressed in white and went house to house "dusting corners" (vymetať kúty)
        - and St. Nicholas Day. For St. Nicholas, boys dressed up as St. Nick (Mikuláš),
        a devil/demon (čert), and an angel (anjel). They would reward good kids with
        candy or fruit and the bad ones with a lump of coal.
        -- Lubos Brieda --
        Get your free Slovak recipe book at www.slovakcooking.com/brochure

        ________________________________

      • smudsville@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 31, 2010
          My bday is nov 1. Where did lump of coal originate? I always thought it was appAlachian american...dlb

          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 31, 2010
            my guess is that it symbolizes a giftcoming from the devil. In Slovakia, the
            devil is typically pictured placing more coals into the Hell furnace - gotta
            keep the hell hot...

            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 1, 2010
              Hmmm...ty, I would have thought that hell needed no help staying hot. Your thought though gives hope that if the devil is ever destroyed (or neutered) hell becomes not hell. Pennsylavania is a coal state and was home for many from czech republic and slovakia. Perhaps my own understanding a lump of coal really did come fRom appalachia AND slovakia...dlb

            • j_coulter77@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 1, 2010
                I remember being a little kid, putting my shoe outside for Saint Nicholas and getting many lumps of coal. I thought it was a German tradition. My German mother was the one who insisted that I put my shoe out. It wasn't until last year that I learned it was an Eastern European tradition.

                My bday is nov 1. Where did lump of coal originate? I always thought it was
                appAlachian american...dlb

                All Souls Day can be rather spectacular in parts of Slovakia

                http://www.iarelative.com/history/all_souls.htm

                Greg

              • dragansk
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 1, 2010
                  Isn't today (Nov. 1) Sviatok vsetkych svatych, which I thought was All Saints Day? In the U.S., All Saints Day is Nov. 1 and All Souls Day is Nov. 2. By the way, today is also the Slovak name -- meniny -- day for all of us named Dennis out there.
                  Dennis

                  --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <greg@...> wrote:

                  > All Souls Day can be rather spectacular in parts of Slovakia
                  >
                  > http://www.iarelative.com/history/all_souls.htm
                  >
                  > Greg

                • Lubos Brieda
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 1, 2010
                    that's right. Tomorrow (all souls day) is one of the few Slovak days without a
                    "name". The others are January 1st, May 1st and Christmas
                    Day, http://www.slovakcooking.com/2010/blog/name-day/

                    Happy nameday, Dennis!
                    -- Lubos Brieda --
                    Get your free Slovak recipe book at www.slovakcooking.com/brochure

                    ________________________________
                    Isn't today (Nov. 1) Sviatok vsetkych svatych, which I thought was All Saints
                    Day? In the U.S., All Saints Day is Nov. 1 and All Souls Day is Nov. 2. By the
                    way, today is also the Slovak name -- meniny -- day for all of us named Dennis
                    out there.
                    Dennis

                    --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <greg@...> wrote:

                    > All Souls Day can be rather spectacular in parts of Slovakia
                    >
                    > http://www.iarelative.com/history/all_souls.htm
                    >
                    > Greg

                  • stephanie nelson
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 1, 2010
                      happy name day!!

                      Stephanie Nelson

                      Happy moments, PRAISE GOD. Difficult moments, SEEK GOD.
                      Quiet moments, WORSHIP GOD.
                      Painful moments, TRUST GOD. Every moment, THANK GOD

                      ________________________________
                      Isn't today (Nov. 1) Sviatok vsetkych svatych, which I thought was All Saints
                      Day? In the U.S., All Saints Day is Nov. 1 and All Souls Day is Nov. 2. By the
                      way, today is also the Slovak name -- meniny -- day for all of us named Dennis
                      out there.
                      Dennis

                      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <greg@...> wrote:

                      > All Souls Day can be rather spectacular in parts of Slovakia
                      >
                      > http://www.iarelative.com/history/all_souls.htm
                      >
                      > Greg

                    • Eve Smith
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 1, 2010
                        Thanks so much for this information, Greg. I posted my family's remembrance there.

                      • Lou
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 16, 2010
                          I've just returned from Slovakia - Bratislava, Kosice & Michalovce. I chose this time of the yeato visit because I wanted to see as much of my tribe as possible. I was successful - most of my cousins showed up and friends too at the cemetery. A lot of car traffic since everybody goes back home for the occasion. Servus, Laci Bolchazy

                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 17, 2010
                            Lou:

                            Thank you for sharing your pictures & experiences here.

                            Welcome home.

                            Chuck