"The Invisible Bridge" by Julie Orringer

  • Diana Boggs
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 30, 2010
      I am intensely interested in how "greater hungary" history and how the peoples lived, particularly hunters, which is why I picked up the above book.

      I recommend it with cautions. It is about a Hungarian Jewish family before, during & after WWII. The beginning is slow and the end is fast. I didn't mind the slowness because the writing style with details is immaculate. How a woman could write so knowledgeable about war is truly amazing. Much of the book or rather the war stories take place in Slovakia and Ruthenia

      The book reminded me a lot of "Gone With The Wind" by Margaret Mitchell, who was accused of not writing the book because it contained so much detail.

      The one thing I could not understand was why they called it "The Invisible Bridge".

      Can someone tell me why select that title and recommend more books (fiction or non-fiction) that cover greater Hungarian life, particularly hunting, from 1920 to 1955?

      Diana Boggs
      thevizslaksentinel.com
      vizslavizipedia.com
      vizslavizsmithsonian.com

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 2, 2010
        I must have missed the reply.  Could someone reiterate?

        Helen?  Martin?  Ben?

      • smudsville@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 2, 2010
          By the lack of response, I wondered if I had asked an improper cultural question...dlb

          From: LongJohn Wayne <daxthewarrior@...>
          Sender: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 13:38:10
          To: <Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com>

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 2, 2010
            > I must have missed the reply.  Could someone reiterate?

            You missed nothing. The book has nothing to do with Slovakia. The country or its people come up 2-3 times in all of its about 600 pages, Kosice is spelled Kassa. It is a work of fiction, not a history book (nor, obviously, one that teaches geography), whose author did not locate her story in Slovakia.

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 3, 2010
              Martin:

              Thank you as always.  I regret my ignorance.

              In spite of that, thank you for revealing & removing it.

              Indebted,
              Chuck

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 3, 2010
                Please forgive.

                By the lack of response, I wondered if I had asked an improper cultural question...dlb

                From: LongJohn Wayne <daxthewarrior@...>

                Sender: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com

                Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 13:38:10

                To: <Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com>

                From: Diana Boggs <ssmudsville@...>

                To: slovak-world@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 3, 2010
                  Me, as well. But unless one asks, you will not know. This listserv crosses cultural lines some times and some times not. I didn't read this book, I listened to it which really drew me into the story without having to work at it. The reader pronounced the word "magyar" not like I thought it was pronounced. He sounded more like "medya"...dlb

                  By the lack of response, I wondered if I had asked an improper cultural question...dlb

                  From: LongJohn Wayne <daxthewarrior@...>

                  Sender: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com

                  Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 13:38:10

                  To: <Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com>