Handicrafts--11

  • Fedor, Helen
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 4, 2010
      My apologies for not sending out the next installment on Friday. I got very busy and completely forgot.

      All opinions and absentmindedness my own

      The production of fibers for weaving was connected to the extensive growing of flax and hemp, and to sheep breeding. In the Orava, Spis~ , and S~aris~ regions, high-quality linen and flaxen thread were produced, and linen from these areas was exported via various commercial routes.

      In the Spis~ region, the production of linen by artisans also stimulated the development of the local linen industry. From the Orava region, with its highly skilled linen weavers, came traveling linen merchants, who were commercially active in many regions of central Europe in the 18th and 19th centuries.

      The manufacture of cloth accounted for a significant portion of craft production in many artisan centers. The main areas of cloth production were the Povaz~ie region (Rajec, Z~ilina, Trenc~i'n, Ruz~omberok, and others), the upper Ponitrie region (Nemecke' Pravno, Prievidza), and three independent towns in western Slovakia (Skalica, Pezinok, and Modra).

      In the 18th century there were about 1,200 cloth-making workshops in Slovakia. The finest cloth was made in Skalica, Modra, and Pezinok; thicker cloth was made in the Povaz~ie and Ponitrie regions. Other areas, such as the Gemer region, produced the thickest cloth, called garaz~ia, that was used mainly for peasants' clothes. In the 18th and 19th centuries, cloth from Slovakia was exported to today's Hungary and northern Yugoslavia.

    • votrubam
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 4, 2010
        > linen and flaxen thread

        Can anyone, kindly, explain what's the difference?

        Martin
      • William F Brna
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 4, 2010
          This is just a guess, but I would assume that "linen" refers to the
          finished product (cloth), and "flaxen thread" refers to the raw material,
          or unwoven thread.

          Bill Brna

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 4, 2010
            Oops. That didn't come out quite right. I meant "linen fabric and thread".

            All ops. and oops my own

            Can anyone, kindly, explain what's the difference?