Foreign languages

  • votrubam
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 27, 2010
      > how easy it is to distort statistics

      I agree, Ron. The latest worthwhile example: the European Union (EU) has released new results of its periodic survey of people's command of foreign languages. On average, 38 percent of the EU inhabitants do _not_ know another language except their own.

      Here are the 2010 percentages of how many people speak _no_ foreign language in Central Europe (no data for Switzerland):

      _8 Slovakia
      25 Austria
      29 Germany
      32 Czech R.
      37 Poland
      75 Hungary

      It's probably representative of what as casual readers we'd assume the results mean in the case of Hungary, but it's unlikely to be quite what it may seem at first sight for the rest of Central Europe.