rabbit

  • Lubos Brieda
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 21, 2010
      Hi group, just wanted to share with you my latest recipe. It's for rabbit on
      mushrooms in creamy vegetable sauce. Yup, you read hat right. Rabbit. Farmed
      rabbits were quite common in Slovakia (and I am sure still are in parts) before
      supermarkets popped up all over the country. I remember as a kid going to my
      grandma's house, playing with the bunnies (she mainly raised the white
      ones, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand_white_rabbit), and then having
      one for dinner in the form of soup or stew.

      Here is the recipe: http://bit.ly/aisQgM
      -- Lubos Brieda --
      Slovak recipes: www.slovakcooking.com
      hikes and travel: www.iamlubos.com

    • helene cincebeaux
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 21, 2010
        Nice article on Lubos in "Most" the publication of the National Czech & Slovak
        Museum & Library. The picture of the Byndza  pirohy (somehow titled here
        pierogi) is just mouthwatering!

        The title is cute "Click. Cook. Connect.

        Way to go Lubos!

        helene

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 25, 2010
          Rabbit -- my Slovak grandma raised rabbits in her garage -- we used to go in and
          feed them carrots.  Then one afternoon my mom gave me "chicken" stew that
          grandma had made.  I knew right away it wasn't chicken, and then she confessed
          that it was rabbit and it was really good, and I really freaked out!  Not a farm
          girl, I guess.  I can't make friends with my food -- I want them to be raised in
          a good environment (not so easy these days), but I don't want to do the raising!

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 25, 2010
            Michelle, et al:

            When visiting Slovakia (and Poland) in 1995, I found rabbits being
            raised in backyards of cousins.

            As a rabbit show judge, licensed by the American Rabbits Breeders
            Association, I found that more than interesting, though the rabbits
            that I saw there were not being raised for 'exhibition', but for food.

            There are over 35,000 rabbit 'families' in the USA, and we are proud
            to be among them.

            Rabbit meat has been determined through research to be BETTER than any
            other meat in terms of cholesterol, fat, protein, carbohydrates, etc.
            That research was done by Dr. McNitt at a college in Louisiana a
            decade or so ago.

            We eat rabbit in our house about once per week.

            Enjoy!
            Don Havlicek
            Edmore, MI

            Quoting Michelle Burke <mcmburke@...>:

            > Rabbit -- my Slovak grandma raised rabbits in her garage -- we used
            > to go in and
            > feed them carrots.  Then one afternoon my mom gave me "chicken" stew that
            > grandma had made.  I knew right away it wasn't chicken, and then she
            > confessed
            > that it was rabbit and it was really good, and I really freaked
            > out!  Not a farm
            > girl, I guess.  I can't make friends with my food -- I want them to
            > be raised in
            > a good environment (not so easy these days), but I don't want to do
            > the raising!
            >

            > ________________________________

          • votrubam
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 25, 2010
              > I can't make friends with my food

              To bring back what Ben recalled recently:

              ... the carp, bought a couple of days in advance, often stays in the bathroom tub, lots of fun for the children, and then they face celebrating Christmas Eve by feasting on Jimmy, or whatever they decided to call "him."

              Martin
            • Michelle Burke
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 25, 2010
                I think that's the difference between being raised post-war in an American city
                and in a small town or a village or on a farm -- I had the same reaction when I
                was even younger at my other grandmother's house, where she raised chickens at
                the "bottom of the yard" and I witnessed my grandfather's chopping off a
                chicken's head -- yikes!  it ran around without its head!  (But I've never had
                any problem eating chicken, even after seeing that.)  I know that farmers' kids
                raise pigs and cows and sheep and don't have any problem eating them.  There was
                a good Gordon Elliott series on BBC America where he and his kids raised a pig
                in the backyard of their suburban London home, and then sent it off to be
                slaughtered -- the kids didn't have any problem eating the bacon after naming
                the pig.

                It's just a personal thing -- if I grew up differently, I'm sure I would be
                perfectly happy to make friends with my food before eating it!

                And, like I said, I do like rabbit, now!

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 25, 2010
                  > perfectly happy to make friends with my food before eating it!

                  Many a Slovak tear is probably shed each Christmas Eve over breaded and fried "Jimmys."

                  Martin
                • Lubos Brieda
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 27, 2010
                    my grandma spends much time every day talking to her animals. Happy animals make
                    for tasty dinner, I suspect.

                    Speaking of the rabbit, I turned made soup from the left over bones, it turned
                    out great.
                    -- Lubos Brieda --
                    Get your free Slovak recipe book at slovakcooking.com/brochure

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 30, 2010
                      Last word -- Lubos, I think you are correct!  Everything I've read says that
                      animals raised on family farms -- cows, chickens, pigs, everything -- really do
                      taste better because they are raised in a fairly stress free environment.  We
                      should all look for our food raised with love and affection, and probably those
                      rabbits my grandma raised tasted pretty good!

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 30, 2010
                        > Everything I've read says that animals raised on family farms
                        > -- cows, chickens, pigs, everything -- really do taste better
                        > because they are raised in a fairly stress free environment.
                        > We should all look for our food raised with love and affection

                        Crossbreeding them to want to be made a meal of could improve things even more, it's been suggested (details below).

                        Martin

                        x x x

                        From Douglas Adams, "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe."

                        The waiter approached. "Would you like to see the menu?" he said, "or would you like to meet the Dish of the Day?"

                        "Huh?" said Ford.
                        "Huh?" said Arthur.
                        "Huh?" said Trillian.
                        "That's cool," said Zaphod, "we'll meet the meat."

                        A large dairy animal approached Zaphod's table, a large fat meaty quadruped of the bovine type with large watery eyes, small horns and what might almost have been an ingratiating smile on its lips.

                        "Good evening," it lowed and sat back heavily on its haunches, "I am the main Dish of the Day. May I interest you in the parts of my body?"

                        It harrumphed and gurgled a bit, wriggled its hind quarters in to a more comfortable position and gazed peacefully at them.

                        Its gaze was met by looks of startled bewilderment from Arthur and Trillian, a resigned shrug from Ford and naked hunger from Zaphod.

                        "Something off the shoulder perhaps?" suggested the animal, "Braised in a white wine sauce?"

                        "Er, _your_ shoulder?" said Arthur in a horrified whisper.

                        "But naturally my shoulder, sir," mooed the animal contentedly, "nobody else's is mine to offer."

                        Zaphod leaped to his feet and started prodding and feeling the animal's shoulder appreciatively.

                        "Or the rump is very good," murmured the animal. "I've been exercising it and eating plenty of grain, so there's a lot of good meat there."

                        It gave a mellow grunt, gurgled again and started to chew the cud. It swallowed the cud again.

                        "Or a casselore of me perhaps?" it added.

                        "That's absolutely horrible," exclaimed Arthur, "the most revolting thing I've ever heard.'

                        "What's the problem?" said Zaphod, now transferring his attention to the animal's enormous rump.

                        "I just don't want to eat an animal that's standing there inviting me to," said Arthur, "It's heartless."

                        "Better than eating an animal that doesn't want to be eaten," said Zaphod.

                        "That's not the point," Arthur protested. Then he thought about it for a moment. "Alright," he said, "maybe it is the point. I don't care, I'm not going to think about it now. I'll just... er... I think I'll just have a green salad," he muttered.

                        "May I urge you to consider my liver?" asked the animal, "it must be very rich and tender by now, I've been force-feeding myself for months."

                        "A green salad," said Arthur emphatically.

                        "A green salad?" said the animal, rolling his eyes disapprovingly at Arthur.

                        "Are you going to tell me," said Arthur, "that I shouldn't have green salad?"

                        "Well," said the animal, "I know many vegetables that are very clear on that point. Which is why it was eventually decided to cut through the whole tangled problem and breed an animal that actually wanted to be eaten and was capable of saying so clearly and distinctly. And here I am." It managed a very slight bow.

                        "Glass of water please," said Arthur.

                        "Look," said Zaphod, "we want to eat, we don't want to make a meal of the issues. Four rare steaks please, and hurry."

                        The animal staggered to its feet. It gave a mellow gurgle. "A very wise choice, sir, if I may say so. Very good," it said, "I'll just nip off and shoot myself."

                        He turned and gave a friendly wink to Arthur. "Don't worry, sir," he said, "I'll be very humane."

                        It waddled unhurriedly off to the kitchen.
                      • Julie Michutka
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 30, 2010
                          Oy. A glass of water it is. *sigh*

                          Julie

                          On Sep 30, 2010, at 2:11 PM, votrubam wrote:

> [...]
                          > green salad?"
                          >
                          > "Well," said the animal, "I know many vegetables that are very clear
                          > on that point. Which is why it was eventually decided to cut
                          > through the whole tangled problem and breed an animal that actually
                          > wanted to be eaten and was capable of saying so clearly and
                          > distinctly. And here I am." It managed a very slight bow.
                          >
                          > "Glass of water please," said Arthur.
                          >
                          > "Look," said Zaphod, "we want to eat, we don't want to make a meal
                          > of the issues. Four rare steaks please, and hurry."
                          >
                          > The animal staggered to its feet. It gave a mellow gurgle. "A very
                          > wise choice, sir, if I may say so. Very good," it said, "I'll just
                          > nip off and shoot myself."
                          >
                          > He turned and gave a friendly wink to Arthur. "Don't worry, sir,"
                          > he said, "I'll be very humane."
                          >
                          > It waddled unhurriedly off to the kitchen.

                        • Ben Sorensen
                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 1, 2010
                            Gotta love Douglas Adams....
                            Ben

                            ________________________________

                            Message 13 of 13 , Oct 1, 2010
                              LOL!  (forgot this scene)

                              > Everything I've read says that animals raised on family farms
                              > -- cows, chickens, pigs, everything -- really do taste better
                              > because they are raised in a fairly stress free environment.
                              > We should all look for our food raised with love and affection

                              Crossbreeding them to want to be made a meal of could improve things even more,
                              it's been suggested (details below).

                              Martin

                              x x x

                              From Douglas Adams, "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe."