Re: [Slovak-World] Lettuce soup ... and Lovage

  • J.B. Bulharowski
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 6, 2010
      You betcha John, I love that stuff, both my mom and grandma made it. I still
      do, but I couldn't give anyone my version cause I don't measure, just play it
      from memory. I sent my aunt and cousin copies of a recipe found in another
      Slovak cookbook that belonged to my mom.

      Maybe I'll make some of that soup soon, I'm making myself hungry here.

      Best,

      JB

      ________________________________
      From: J.B. Bulharowski <j.bulharowski@...>
      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sunday, September 5, 2010, 3:38 PM

      Michelle:

      The cookbooks finally arrived at my place. Now they are on their way to their
      new owners. I haven't heard from my aunt or cousin as yet. I paid for the
      ability to check to see if the "mail" arrived, so I'll do that fairly soon.

      Thanks for your input, as I might have said my book is 45 years old and well
      worn, no falling apart! Hope your sisters and family enjoy the recipes in the
      book.

      Best,

      JB

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 7, 2010
        John,

        This is exactly how my Slovak father and my German mother-in-law made it. Both of them always served it over cooked hamburgers.

        Michelle Maco Mader
        Cleveland, Ohio USA

        >My mother did not add meat or sour cream to her soup. She used a bit of flour as a thickener and added vinegar. During summer months, she would substitute dill fresh from her garden.
        >John e. Polko.

        >>John, this sounds like our "sour bean soup", kysla fazulova polievka. The
        >>ingredients include beans, smoked meat, potatoes, sour cream and vinegar.
        >>Recipe: http://www.slovakcooking.com/2009/recipes/bean-soup/
        >>-- Lubos Brieda --

        >>>The sour cream soup that I ate as a kid and as an adult consisted of cut green
        >>>or yellow beans, potatoes, thickened with a little flour(just a bit), and made
        >>>sour with either dill weed or vinegar if there was no dill available.

        >>>My Mother always grew beans, so we had sour cream soup all summer long.
        >>>John e. Polko.

      • Michelle Burke
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 10, 2010
          This sounds familiar -- I remember that my grandmother would make this for
          Sunday dinner at her house.  Wasn't too popular with the little kids.