RE: [Slovak-World] Re: Clarifying Slovak and German

  • Plichta
    Message 1 of 37 , Sep 3 5:53 PM
      Yes German is alive and well in Slovakia.

      I had an occasion on my last trip when I tried to turn an automobile around
      in a one-way-street. The Slovak Police stopped me for going the wrong way
      on a one-way. Our conversation was in German. While discussing my
      "offense" on the side walk, a gentleman from India approached us and asked
      in the Queen's English if I could help translate with the Slovak Police. I
      did, and explained to the police that he had parked his car in a parking
      lot, went into the hotel and fell asleep. When he awoke, he found that the
      parking lot was closed and locked. After paying my fine on the spot, the
      police then followed him to the parking lot to arrange to get his car out.

      Frank

      Searching the World for PLICHTAs

      _____

      Message 37 of 37 , Sep 6 5:00 PM
        There are plenty of German borrowings in the eastern dialects, and they're still used: s~urc (apron), biglajs (iron for ironing), lajbik (vest), fris~tik (breakfast), etc.