Re: Clarifying Slovak and German

  • Ron
    Message 1 of 37 , Sep 3, 2010
      Joe,

      I wanted to wait until I had answers from Germany before I addressed your comment. I needed time to think it over as well. Did anyone else out there grow up with the phrase "tin ear"? That is what I have when it comes to music and subtle sounds.

      I think Ben hit it on the head when he said most Slovaks drop the I sound in "ideme". My tin ear does the rest, combined with being used to hearing the German "geh ma".

      Now to see what havoc weeks of Slovak do to me in the Czech Republic and Germany... I already ran across difficulty in writing "science" in English. I couldn't remember the spelling, and exposure to Slovak spelling as it sounds was so ingrained in me by then, I was just puzzled by what combination of letters could rationally produce "science". The only thing that saved me was the memory returning.

      As bad as I am, I really enjoyed the course and am enjoying trying to use the language!

      Ron

      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Armata, Joseph R" <armata@...> wrote:

      > Ron, when you wrote "geh'ma", did you mean a hard g as in go, or a soft g as in gem? I can see a soft g ("jema") sounding like Slovak "ideme", but not a hard one.
      >
      > Joe

    • Fedor, Helen
      Message 37 of 37 , Sep 6, 2010
        There are plenty of German borrowings in the eastern dialects, and they're still used: s~urc (apron), biglajs (iron for ironing), lajbik (vest), fris~tik (breakfast), etc.