Bears in Slovakia

  • votrubam
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 2, 2010
      There were hardly any bears in Slovakia and only rangers would see one on occasion (some never saw bear in their lives) for much of the 20th century until the 1970s. Encounters are frequent, people get mauled every year now, most recently in the High Tatras in April, after which the victim had to stay in the hospital for 4 weeks. As an example, there were about 3 bears along the ca 35-mile-long stretch of the High Tatras in 1949, the same area has 40-45 bears now according to the local rangers.

      A German radio station broadcast a 4-1/2-minute English-language report on bears in Slovakia today (Thursday). It is uploaded here (lower right):

      <http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/qsonhist/bearetymologyslovakenglishwelsh.html>

      The village the reporter mentions is Magurka:

      <http://tinyurl.com/27dgujv>

      Martin
    • votrubam
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 2, 2010
        That is, "some never saw _a_ bear in their lives."

        M.
      • Ron
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 2, 2010
          I came up to Strbske Pleso 2 days ago and was joined on the electric train by a British couple soaked from the blowing rain at the lower elevations. They just descended from one of the huts in the Tatras, having spent the night after having hiked from the Polish side.

          The storm blew in the night before with heavy horizontal rains at lower elevations and snow at higher levels. They had to change their route of decent when one trail was iced over. As they were descending in the blowing snow they encountered fresh bear tracks in the snow going the same way. Happily that was as close as they got to the bear.

          The tracks were about 5" wide, making it a 7" bear, according to one guide I talked to years ago.

          Ron
          PS Yesterday was beautiful, but the snow (down below 1500 m) stopped me from crossing the pass from Popradske Pleso to follow the mountains to Batizovske Pleso. Today I get another chance, another route to choose.

          > There were hardly any bears in Slovakia and only rangers would see one on occasion (some never saw bear in their lives) for much of the 20th century until the 1970s. Encounters are frequent, people get mauled every year now, most recently in the High Tatras in April, after which the victim had to stay in the hospital for 4 weeks. As an example, there were about 3 bears along the ca 35-mile-long stretch of the High Tatras in 1949, the same area has 40-45 bears now according to the local rangers.
          >
          > A German radio station broadcast a 4-1/2-minute English-language report on bears in Slovakia today (Thursday). It is uploaded here (lower right):
          >
          > <http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/qsonhist/bearetymologyslovakenglishwelsh.html>
          >
          > The village the reporter mentions is Magurka:
          >
          > <http://tinyurl.com/27dgujv>
          >

          > Martin

        • William C. Wormuth
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 3, 2010
            Cold weather plus snow and rain is ruining what is left of the tourist season.
             I did not pack a jacket or sweater.  Jarmok in Kuty is Saturday and I hope to get some cheap warm clothes.
            z Bohom,
            Vilo