Re: Traditional agriculture--64

  • votrubam
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 2010
      > the site of an open-air ["open," with no damper?] fireplace
      > (vatra) with a swinging handle on which to hang a kettle [??

      Not a "fireplace" -- a fire ring (occasionally with features of a fire pit). So a cauldron (sometimes a kettle) over it makes sense, doesn't it. This is the inside of a salas in the Romanian Carpathians today:

      <http://tinyurl.com/25x8f5j>

      The smoke from the open fire would leave the room through cracks in the wooden ceiling-roof and help make the ostiepoks (smoked sheep cheese) hung up there, and sometimes smoked meat products if the shepherds had the ingredients for them.

      And not a vatra, that was a fire/bonfire in the open. It was simply ohen ("fire") inside the salas chalet.

      Martin
    • Fedor, Helen
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1, 2010
        That's why the book's use of < vatra > confused me. Thanks for the explanation and the photo.

        All opinions my own
        (BTW, I don't add this post-signature line to be annoying. The Library Powers That Be have told us that anytime we post something on a listserve using an LC address, we have to make clear that we're not speaking officially for LC. The phrase is a formula that many staff members use.)

        > the site of an open-air ["open," with no damper?] fireplace
        > (vatra) with a swinging handle on which to hang a kettle [??

        Not a "fireplace" -- a fire ring (occasionally with features of a fire pit). So a cauldron (sometimes a kettle) over it makes sense, doesn't it. This is the inside of a salas in the Romanian Carpathians today:

        <http://tinyurl.com/25x8f5j>

        The smoke from the open fire would leave the room through cracks in the wooden ceiling-roof and help make the ostiepoks (smoked sheep cheese) hung up there, and sometimes smoked meat products if the shepherds had the ingredients for them.

        And not a vatra, that was a fire/bonfire in the open. It was simply ohen ("fire") inside the salas chalet.

      • Lubos Brieda
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 1, 2010
          Inside of a salas near Banska Bystrica
          http://www.iamlubos.com/travel/sib/pics3/214.jpg
          and
          http://www.iamlubos.com/travel/sib/pics3/215.jpg

          The second photo shows ostiepky getting smoked as Martin mentioned
          -- Lubos Brieda --
          Slovak recipes: www.slovakcooking.com
          hikes and travel: www.iamlubos.com

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 1, 2010
            > That's why the book's use of <vatra> confused me.

            Of course, Helen, and recall what they thought "biciar" meant, etc., etc., etc. Quite unfortunate for ambitious historical ethnologist to be so ill informed so often and publish it all (not to mention the "translation").

            <http://www.iamlubos.com/travel/sib/pics3/214.jpg>

            How modern, with a tiled floor and all. Very useful pics, Lubos, great to see how things have developed.

            Martin
          • Lubos Brieda
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 1, 2010
              There are few more photos
              at http://www.iamlubos.com/travel/sib/sib3.php including a shot from the outside
              and one with zincica all over my pants. Unfortunately this salas burned down not
              too long after this picture was taken. No clue if it got rebuilt.

            • nhasior@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 2, 2010
                Hi Helen,
                "All opinions are my own" caught my eye the first time something you
                posted displayed it. I thought "wow, if we all felt that way, there would be
                peace in the world" That little phrase is not annoying at all, great thought.
                Reen