RE: [Slovak-World] Clarifying Slovak and German

  • Armata, Joseph R
    Message 1 of 37 , Sep 1, 2010
      Ron, when you wrote "geh'ma", did you mean a hard g as in go, or a soft g as in gem? I can see a soft g ("jema") sounding like Slovak "ideme", but not a hard one.

      Joe

    • Fedor, Helen
      Message 37 of 37 , Sep 6, 2010
        There are plenty of German borrowings in the eastern dialects, and they're still used: s~urc (apron), biglajs (iron for ironing), lajbik (vest), fris~tik (breakfast), etc.