Re: Clarifying Slovak and German

  • Ron
    Message 1 of 37 , Aug 31, 2010
      Frank,

      I lived in Hesse, Germany for 9 years and know the dialect pretty well. So I look upon it as my brain being trained to hear "geh'ma" in Hessian, when in reality Slovaks are saying "Ideme", and I am not hearing the "I".

      Just in the last 2 months I have heard the same family and the professors and people on the street, and it is my personal problem, not theirs. I have to get used to hearing more Slovak than German.

      I just wanted to correct the mistake I made in 2003 on this forum.

      Ron

      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Plichta" <plichta@...> wrote:

      > Ron,
      >

      > What you heard as "Geh'ma" may have come from the German "Gehen" to go and
      > "ma" from the Slovak "moj" for "my".
      >

      > But then only you know what you heard back then.
      >

      > Enjoy,
      >
      > Frank
      >
      > "Searching the World for PLICHTAs"
      >

      > _____

    • Fedor, Helen
      Message 37 of 37 , Sep 6, 2010
        There are plenty of German borrowings in the eastern dialects, and they're still used: s~urc (apron), biglajs (iron for ironing), lajbik (vest), fris~tik (breakfast), etc.