Lettuce soup ... and Lovage

  • Susan Durisek
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 29, 2010
      I'd like to have a proper recipe for lettuce soup... My Slovak father kept asking my mom to make it, but she never did find out how. It got to be a sort of joke ... after all, who makes soup out of lettuce in US culture? Maybe now that the world has changed to relishing green, something will surface as a gourmet delight.
      Also... I learned a trick in Slovakia for making vegetable soup more delicious.... include a bit of lovage, which has a very savory flavor. I could not find any in the US, so started growing my own from seed. It's a biennial plant, similar to celery but stronger. I also put it in potato salad...just a tiny bit, finely chopped...and the leaves make a good garnish. The leaf stalks...called petioles... are shaped like straws, so they make a nice addition to Bloody Marys, too.
      Best... Zuzka

    • Nancy Hayes
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 29, 2010
        I've never heard of 'lettuce' soup; are you thinking of 'cabbage' soup
        instead?

        Nancy

        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 29, 2010
          Hi Nancy... Really... Lettuce (not cabbage) Soup Odd to think of, isn't it?
          S/Z

        • J.B. Bulharowski
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 29, 2010
            Susan/Nancy:

            http://www.slovakcooking.com/2009/recipes/lettuce-soup/

            Didn't notice if Lubos tuned into your request, but here's his online version of
            the lettuce soup. I ate it as a kid and I really didn't have to learn to love
            it, guess I was born adoring it. My paternal grandmother used to make MANY
            different versions depending on what she had around her kitchen.

            Recently, I bought two Slovak cookbooks for 2 gals in my family. The books were
            assembled, published, distributed by The 1st Catholic Slovak Ladies Assoc. based
            in Beachwood, OH. I had one book given to me 46 years ago as a wedding
            present. A year ago I bought another for myself because my original is
            literally falling apart. I purchased the two books for my aunt by marriage, and
            her daughter, my cousin. This aunt who is not Slovak learned to cook many
            things for her husband (my uncle is from the maternal Slovak side of my family).
            The other book is for my cousin who is interested in things Slovak.
            Unfortunately, I received a letter informing me that I shouldn't expect to
            receive the books for 6-8 weeks because of printing issues. Dern I wanted them
            to have them ASAP as a surprise, but hopefully they will arrive soon.

            This maternal aunt learned to make Slovak goodies at the side of my maternal
            grandmother, and the last time I saw her she was asking me if I could give her a
            recipe for what we used to call Sour Cream Soup. It is similar to the lettuce
            soup, but made with green beans, potatoes, and sour cream. These ladies live
            far away from me in TN, so I thought the cookbooks would give them the written
            recipe for that soup. I've made it most of my married life, but I make it just
            by "feel," because that's how I learned to make it.

            Hope you two ladies enjoy the lettuce soup. I've always been fond of dill and
            hope my small seedling survives into the fall and winter here where I live.

            Enjoy!

            jb

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 29, 2010
              Thanks!

              Nancy

                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 30, 2010
                  has any one ever heard of ma chanka ? not sure how to spell it
                  remember mom making it almost sure it contains lettuce and bacon and not
                  sure what else. hope someone has made it or heard of it and can help with
                  tanks for any help or replies

                  bob

                • votrubam
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 30, 2010
                    > has any one ever heard of ma chanka ?

                    It's been discussed on SK-W before:

                    The root in the word is -mok-/-moc~-, which relates to "wet." The origin of macanka is a "dip," a thickish liquid you eat by dipping the bread in it "making it wet with the sauce." The contemporary Slovak word for sauce, _oma'c~ka_, has the same origin.

                    Anthropologists say that thickish liquids, from porridge-like to all
                    kinds of stews, eaten with baked dough (a wide variety of breads)
                    have historically been the most frequently eaten dishes in Europe for
                    at least much of the past millennium.

                    Martin
                  • haluska
                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 2, 2010
                      I had to check if this was one of Skeeters old posts......

                      Laskavy Prosim everone!

                      > > has any one ever heard of ma chanka ?
                      >
                      > It's been discussed on SK-W before:

                      > The root in the word is -mok-/-moc~-, which relates to "wet." The origin of macanka is a "dip," a thickish liquid you eat by dipping the bread in it "making it wet with the sauce." The contemporary Slovak word for sauce, _oma'c~ka_, has the same origin.
                      >
                      > Anthropologists say that thickish liquids, from porridge-like to all
                      > kinds of stews, eaten with baked dough (a wide variety of breads)
                      > have historically been the most frequently eaten dishes in Europe for
                      > at least much of the past millennium.
                      >

                      > Martin

                    • Michelle Burke
                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 4, 2010
                        Sorry to hear that the 1st Slovak Ladies' Union is haivng printing issues!  The
                        Cookbook is an important part of my life -- and I gave it to both of my sisters,
                        too.  And then when I found the perfect man in my life, it turns out that his
                        mother had the Cookbook too -- and he didn't even know that he was Slovak!  (on
                        his mother's side, but she's Polish too, and American 100%)

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 5, 2010
                          Michelle:

                          The cookbooks finally arrived at my place. Now they are on their way to their
                          new owners. I haven't heard from my aunt or cousin as yet. I paid for the
                          ability to check to see if the "mail" arrived, so I'll do that fairly soon.

                          Thanks for your input, as I might have said my book is 45 years old and well
                          worn, no falling apart! Hope your sisters and family enjoy the recipes in the
                          book.

                          Best,

                          JB

                          ________________________________

                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 5, 2010
                            Hi,
                            The sour cream soup that I ate as a kid and as an adult consisted of cut green or yellow beans, potatoes, thickened with a little flour(just a bit), and made sour with either dill weed or vinegar if there was no dill available.

                            My Mother always grew beans, so we had sour cream soup all summer long.

                            Regards,

                            John e. Polko.

                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 5, 2010
                              John, this sounds like our "sour bean soup", kysla fazulova polievka. The
                              ingredients include beans, smoked meat, potatoes, sour cream and vinegar.
                              Recipe: http://www.slovakcooking.com/2009/recipes/bean-soup/
                              -- Lubos Brieda --

                              ________________________________

                              Message 14 of 17 , Sep 6, 2010
                                HI Lubos,

                                My mother did not add meat or sour cream to her soup.  She used a bit of flour as a thickener and added vinegar.  During summer months, she would substitute dill fresh from her garden.

                                We would also make our own European dill pickles using the dill weed, along with peppercorns and coriander.   Salt was added and the gallon jugs were allowed to ferment for about a week and that kept us in dill pickles (sometime times called kosher dills) for the whole summer.

                                Best regards; your friend

                                John e. Polko.

                                Message 15 of 17 , Sep 6, 2010
                                  You betcha John, I love that stuff, both my mom and grandma made it. I still
                                  do, but I couldn't give anyone my version cause I don't measure, just play it
                                  from memory. I sent my aunt and cousin copies of a recipe found in another
                                  Slovak cookbook that belonged to my mom.

                                  Maybe I'll make some of that soup soon, I'm making myself hungry here.

                                  Best,

                                  JB

                                  ________________________________

                                  I'd like to have a proper recipe for lettuce soup... My Slovak father kept
                                  asking my mom to make it, but she never did find out how. It got to be a sort
                                  of joke ... after all, who makes soup out of lettuce in US culture? Maybe now
                                  that the world has changed to relishing green, something will surface as a
                                  gourmet delight.
                                  Also... I learned a trick in Slovakia for making vegetable soup more
                                  delicious.... include a bit of lovage, which has a very savory flavor. I could
                                  not find any in the US, so started growing my own from seed. It's a biennial
                                  plant, similar to celery but stronger. I also put it in potato salad...just a
                                  tiny bit, finely chopped...and the leaves make a good garnish. The leaf
                                  stalks...called petioles... are shaped like straws, so they make a nice addition

                                  to Bloody Marys, too.
                                  Best... Zuzka

                                • Mader, Michelle A. (GRC-CHC0)
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Sep 7, 2010
                                    John,

                                    This is exactly how my Slovak father and my German mother-in-law made it. Both of them always served it over cooked hamburgers.

                                    Michelle Maco Mader
                                    Cleveland, Ohio USA

                                    >My mother did not add meat or sour cream to her soup. She used a bit of flour as a thickener and added vinegar. During summer months, she would substitute dill fresh from her garden.
                                    >John e. Polko.

                                    >>John, this sounds like our "sour bean soup", kysla fazulova polievka. The
                                    >>ingredients include beans, smoked meat, potatoes, sour cream and vinegar.
                                    >>Recipe: http://www.slovakcooking.com/2009/recipes/bean-soup/
                                    >>-- Lubos Brieda --

                                    >>>The sour cream soup that I ate as a kid and as an adult consisted of cut green
                                    >>>or yellow beans, potatoes, thickened with a little flour(just a bit), and made
                                    >>>sour with either dill weed or vinegar if there was no dill available.

                                    >>>My Mother always grew beans, so we had sour cream soup all summer long.
                                    >>>John e. Polko.

                                  • Michelle Burke
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Sep 10, 2010
                                      This sounds familiar -- I remember that my grandmother would make this for
                                      Sunday dinner at her house.  Wasn't too popular with the little kids.