Traditional agriculture--51

  • Fedor, Helen
    Message 1 of 66 , Aug 4, 2010
      Agricultural production, of which animal breeding was a part, increased in pre-communist Slovakia. Changes in farming methods (the transition to a system of rotating crops, the related loss of fallow fields that spelled a decrease in pasturage, as well as an intensification of meadow farming to grow crops for feeding on the other [I have no clue. Ideas?]) also modified the traditional ways of animal breeding.

      The biggest changes in animal breeding took place in Slovakia in the last quarter of the 19th century, and were significantly reflected in the numbers of the various types of farm animals. Comparing lists of animals from 1870 and 1900 reveals: a decrease in horses, from 255,000 to 249,000; an increase in cattle, from 885,000 to 1,057,000, and pigs, from 425,000 to 640,000; and a rapid decline in sheep, from 2,731,000 to 1,301,000.

      Horse numbers stagnated in this period. This can be explained by the development of railways, which caused the downfall of the traditional carter's trade. However, this stagnation was caused mainly by social factors - horse breeding was not profitable for small farmers, who replaced horses with cattle. Neither were horses the main draft animals on country estates. Horse breeding at country estates was more focused on the army's needs, where horses were bred for wagons[? "chariots"] and for riding.

      All opinions my own

    • joy2002cjm
      Message 66 of 66 , Aug 14, 2010
        I agree with Lubos, your wealth of knowledge is amazing and you should create a book of sorts. Sharing your knowledge helps it to live on and enrich all of us. Thanks for sharing here.
        Carolyn