Traditional agriculture--49

  • Fedor, Helen
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4, 2010
      I don't get it. I resent this about 15 mins ago and it still hasn't shown up. I used the "resend message" function, so maybe there was something flakey in the address (although I just clicked on it in my address list). I'm sending it one more time, afresh, in hopes that this time the gremlins will let it go through.

      All opinions and frustrations my own

      Goat breeding was not as extensive as cattle and sheep breeding. This was not only because goats were less useful, but also because of the frequent prohibitions on their breeding due to the damage they caused while pastured in forests.

      Pig breeding was of greater economic importance to serf families, who bred 2-3 animals on farm estates, and 1-2 (and sometimes fewer) on cottage estates. The shortage of high-quality fodder and pastures restricted the number of pigs bred. Pasturing them in forests was gradually prohibited for serfs at the beginning of the 18th century. Pasturing them on fallow fields and low-quality fodder also limited the number of pigs bred.

      In spite of this, sources from that time show that 36,268 pigs were exported from the Kingdom of Hungary in 1743; of that number, 22,674 went to Austria and 13,566 to Moravia. Serf families from western Slovakia, mainly from Za'horie, participated in this exporting.

      Pigs were bred mainly for their meat, and were mostly of the so-called jez~ovite' [hedgehog] or domestic breed. At the beginning of the 18th century, the so-called bakonske' [Bakonyi] breed began to be raised on feudal country estates. However, serfs continued raising the original breed, which in some places was not replaced by a higher-quality white breed of pig until the 19th century.

      All opinions (and no pigs) my own