RE: [Slovak-World] Traditional agriculture--50

  • Fedor, Helen
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 3 12:11 PM
      I sent it out yesterday. Maybe the gremlins are messing with you. In case you can't find it, here's the text for #49:

      "Goat breeding was not as extensive as cattle and sheep breeding. This was not only because goats were less useful, but also because of the frequent prohibitions on their breeding due to the damage they caused while pastured in forests.

      Pig breeding was of greater economic importance to serf families, who bred 2-3 animals on farm estates, and 1-2 (and sometimes fewer) on cottage estates. The shortage of high-quality fodder and pastures restricted the number of pigs bred. Pasturing them in forests was gradually prohibited for serfs at the beginning of the 18th century. Pasturing them on fallow fields and low-quality fodder also limited the number of pigs bred.

      In spite of this, sources from that time show that 36,268 pigs were exported from the Kingdom of Hungary in 1743; of that number, 22,674 went to Austria and 13,566 to Moravia. Serf families from western Slovakia, mainly from Za'horie, participated in this exporting.

      Pigs were bred mainly for their meat, and were mostly of the so-called jez~ovite' [hedgehog] or domestic breed. At the beginning of the 18th century, the so-called bakonske' [Bakonyi] breed began to be raised on feudal country estates. However, serfs continued raising the original breed, which in some places was not replaced by a higher-quality white breed of pig until the 19th century.

      All opinions (and no pigs) my own"

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 3 2:11 PM
        There is no record in the archive

        of 49 being sent. Maybe it is not just me they are messing with.

        Thanks for the text. Very interesting area for me ( well, perhaps not
        the not the pigs)

        Bruce

        On 8/3/2010 2:11 PM, Fedor, Helen wrote:
        > I sent it out yesterday. Maybe the gremlins are messing with you. In case you can't find it, here's the text for #49:

      • Joe Armata
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 3 7:48 PM
          Yeah, I didn't get the original #49 either.

          Joe

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 4 5:00 AM
            Let me resend it officially, so that it's in the archives (I found it in my own in-box...I wonder what happened?).