Traditional agriculture--50

  • Fedor, Helen
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 3, 2010
      As for poultry, under feudalism serfs mainly bred hens and geese, which also was part of the in-kind rent paid to the landlord. However, a farmer's family did not breed more than 8-10 hens and 3-4 geese. In cottage families[???] this number was half as large, a result of the shortage of feed corn on serf farms. Ducks and turkeys were bred only rarely, mainly on noble estates.

      [There are two photos whose (cleaned-up) captions read: "Pasturing geese was often children's work." and "Poultry was an integral part of the farmyard; feeding it was women's work."]

      Beekeeping was widespread mainly in mountain areas, where it succeeded the original brtni'ctvo [the collecting of wild honey and wax]. At the beginning of the 18th century, it was carried out intensively mainly in northwestern Slovakia, where almost every serf household kept several beehives.

      Beekeeping was also practiced intensively in central Slovakia, mainly around mining towns, and in northern S~aris~. At that time, Kremnica [the red dot < http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6a/Map_slovakia_kremnica.png >] and Roz~n~ava [red dot at < http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8b/Map_slovakia_roznava.png >] were well-known for their honey markets.

      That said, however, beekeeping was less widespread in the first half of the 18th century than earlier, but much more so than it was to become in the 19th century. This was a reflection of the importance of honey and wax in the Slovak population's way of life.

      All opinions my own

    • bbauer@hiwaay.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 3, 2010
        What happened to 49? Are the bits and bytes of Yahoo picking on me today?

        Bruce
      • Fedor, Helen
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 3, 2010
          I sent it out yesterday. Maybe the gremlins are messing with you. In case you can't find it, here's the text for #49:

          "Goat breeding was not as extensive as cattle and sheep breeding. This was not only because goats were less useful, but also because of the frequent prohibitions on their breeding due to the damage they caused while pastured in forests.

          Pig breeding was of greater economic importance to serf families, who bred 2-3 animals on farm estates, and 1-2 (and sometimes fewer) on cottage estates. The shortage of high-quality fodder and pastures restricted the number of pigs bred. Pasturing them in forests was gradually prohibited for serfs at the beginning of the 18th century. Pasturing them on fallow fields and low-quality fodder also limited the number of pigs bred.

          In spite of this, sources from that time show that 36,268 pigs were exported from the Kingdom of Hungary in 1743; of that number, 22,674 went to Austria and 13,566 to Moravia. Serf families from western Slovakia, mainly from Za'horie, participated in this exporting.

          Pigs were bred mainly for their meat, and were mostly of the so-called jez~ovite' [hedgehog] or domestic breed. At the beginning of the 18th century, the so-called bakonske' [Bakonyi] breed began to be raised on feudal country estates. However, serfs continued raising the original breed, which in some places was not replaced by a higher-quality white breed of pig until the 19th century.

          All opinions (and no pigs) my own"

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 3, 2010
            There is no record in the archive

            of 49 being sent. Maybe it is not just me they are messing with.

            Thanks for the text. Very interesting area for me ( well, perhaps not
            the not the pigs)

            Bruce

            On 8/3/2010 2:11 PM, Fedor, Helen wrote:
            > I sent it out yesterday. Maybe the gremlins are messing with you. In case you can't find it, here's the text for #49:

          • Joe Armata
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 3, 2010
              Yeah, I didn't get the original #49 either.

              Joe

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 4, 2010
                Let me resend it officially, so that it's in the archives (I found it in my own in-box...I wonder what happened?).