Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Traditional agriculture--48

  • Margo Smith
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2010
      Thanks, Martin.  You can tell I'm a city slicker -- I couldn't tell which was
      which when I saw them in the field.  Actually, the big surprise for me was that
      I didn't see very many sheep at all (in Zliechov, even though they make and sell
      bryndza there).

      Margo

      ________________________________
      > Which kind of sheep was kept for bryndza?

      In principle, both, but in practice, the Wallachian sheep were traditional. The
      "birkas" were the newer Merino sheep.

    • votrubam
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 2, 2010
        > I couldn't tell which was which when I saw them in the field.

        Hardly any Slovaks can, either, Margo.

        > I didn't see very many sheep at all (in Zliechov, even
        > though they make and sell bryndza there).

        Although bryndza and sheep are part of Slovakia's "modern mythology," neither is an important part of the Slovaks' real lives. Slovakia has substantially fewer sheep relative to its population not just by comparison to traditional sheep-rearing countries like Greece, Italy, and Hungary, but also, for instance, almost 90 percent less than Sweden.

        Free-market Slovakia had about 450,000 sheep before WW II, the Communists boosted it up to 700,000, but the number has gone down to under 350,000 since the return of democracy. On average, the Slovaks eat merely 10-15 ounces of bryndza per year.

        Martin
      • John Polko
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 2, 2010
          Hello All:

          When I went to Slovakia in 1992, I was treated to some Brindza, by relatives.  They very proudly announced that it was from the mountains, and that the producer was particularly good at making the cheese.

          Best wishes,

          John e. Polko.