Re: Upcoming Slovakia Trip

  • Ron
    Message 1 of 44 , Jul 11, 2010
      Thanks for the suggestion, Caye, but I likely won't be blogging. I expect to be pretty busy with the language course and all that the profesorka has planned for us. I will finish up in Rozemberok on the final trip; so we will spend some time in the Liptov area, normally a transit area for me on my way to the Lubovna region.

      It is interesting being exposed to the proper language and fine points after decades of 'getting by' with my survival skills. Now I have old habits to overcome and have to get where I can speak for myself, using proper words and cases...

      Once this is past then comes the challenge of building the language skills over the long term - with the added complication that I have close (Slovak/Rusyn) family ties in the Czech Republic and will have to distinguish between the two languages as I learn and develop.

      On top of all that, I haven't the foggiest idea of where a person sets up a blog.

      Ahh... if I could have done this in 1982 when I first tried!
      We live in interesting times.

      Ron
      PS. Most of the beginning students in my class have no ethnic ties to Slovakia. That makes it nice in that no one is telling the professors that they want to speak it as baba did, and we are working primarily the language. The culture is coming along with it, but in balance - the modern way of life and modern language primarily, and just an appropriate touch of the folk culture, which is so heavily covered here.

    • memzommi1@aol.com
      Message 44 of 44 , Jul 12, 2010
        thank you! this made me cry!