Traditional agriculture--33

  • Fedor, Helen
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 9, 2010
      A significant part of the fruit harvest was sold fresh in towns and industrial centers, or was transported by wagons to the more northerly parts of Slovakia, where there was a shortage of fruit. However, quite a bit of fruit was preserved for the winter in homes. Old traditions of folk fruit growing created a whole range of processing techniques, such as distillation of plum brandy, making jam, or drying fruit (plums, pears, apples) in various ways.

      Everywhere in Slovakia, fruit was dried in bread ovens, using the heat leftover from baking bread. If there was a need, bread ovens were also heated specifically for this purpose. These methods of drying the fruit were used only for small volumes of fruit for home use. Fruit was dried on a large scale in drying houses, of which there were two basic types: the old earthen drying houses and modern ones built as special out-buildings.

      Drying fruit in Slovakia took a variety of forms, and had old traditions as well as significant economic and cultural importance in the past.(8)

      All opinions my own

    • Matchett
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 9, 2010
        Governor Manchin of WV said on TV that family was Czechoslovak and
        Italian. Anyone know if they were Czech or Slovak?

        BTW, just got back from Slovakia two days ago. Great trip on Helene's
        "Immersion in Slovak Villages & Castles". Also visited relatives near
        Bratislava and in Bohemia. This was a three generation trip--my
        daughter and granddaughter. They were dressed in kroje in Telgart.
        The Helpa festival was fun. Caught a glimpse of the Slovakia
        president. Nice weather. Fantastic countryside/mountains.

        Julia Matchett
      • slovak821@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 9, 2010
          Julia,
          I noticed your email address indicates you live in Central Florida; I
          live in Orlando. I am so happy that you had a great trip to Slovakia.
          The fact that your daughter and granddaughter also went makes it all the more
          special.
          Jacqueline