slovak 80s music

  • Lubos Brieda
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 6, 2010
      Hi folks, I got inspired by Ben's awesome talk on the history of Slovak music,
      and put together a list of some of the most popular songs in Slovakia in the
      late 80s. Enjoy: http://www.slovakcooking.com/2010/blog/slovak-80s-music-hits/

    • Paul Sabol
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 23, 2011
        My aunt recently forwarded a picture she found of her mother (my baba) making some kind of Easter ?cheese?. As she described it to me:
        It basically starts like a big pot of scrambled eggs (eggs, milk,?salt, not sure if anything else). It's cooked then put in cheesecloth and tied tight and hung like that till all the liquid is drained off. Then it's a compact ball of that. It's put in the Easter basket that gets blessed. It's eaten cold with a little salt along with the kielbasa, ham, etc. We called it yayechnik (pretty sure) (?sp) and some call it hrutka. My dad used to drink the liquid. Not sure if my mom did.
        What is the accurate Slovak name of this and what are the actual ingredients/recipe? They just don't make little old ladies like my baba anymore, may she rest in peace.

      • JohnS
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 24, 2011
          We always called it syrek: syr being Slovak for cheese. I will need to check with my sister for my mother's recipe but here is one from the FCSLA cookbook.

          Pour one quart of milk into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Beat 15 eggs slightly and add gradually to the milk. Cook over low heat for about seven minutes. Add some pepper and sauce (elsewhere is says a "pinch"). Stir constantly so mixture does not scorch. Pout mixture into linen towel, squeeze and tie tightly. Hang and let drain for two hours. Cover with wet napkin and place in refrigerator.

          I recall my Mother using cheesecloth but she's been gone since 1981 and I haven't seen this made since before then. So it could have been a towel.

          Elsewhere in the cookbook it's spelled sirok and cirak. Syrek came from slovakcooking.com and I think that's closer to correct given the root of the word. It also had the alternate name of hrudko which I have never heard before.

          Personally, as a child I did not like syrek at all. It's been 40 years since I've had it and tastes may have changed. However, I'm not in a hurry to make it and try it. It may be the only Slovak food I don't like. But, since it was Easter and it was blessed, I was obligated to eat it. Maybe that's the reason for it's still current lack of appeal.

          That said; dobru chut!

          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Paul Sabol <pgsabol@...> wrote:

          > My aunt recently forwarded a picture she found of her mother (my baba) making some kind of Easter ?cheese?. As she described it to me:
          > It basically starts like a big pot of scrambled eggs (eggs, milk,?salt, not sure if anything else). It's cooked then put in cheesecloth and tied tight and hung like that till all the liquid is drained off. Then it's a compact ball of that. It's put in the Easter basket that gets blessed. It's eaten cold with a little salt along with the kielbasa, ham, etc. We called it yayechnik (pretty sure) (?sp) and some call it hrutka. My dad used to drink the liquid. Not sure if my mom did.
          > What is the accurate Slovak name of this and what are the actual ingredients/recipe? They just don't make little old ladies like my baba anymore, may she rest in peace.

        • joe krehlik
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 24, 2011
            My Grandmother (Hungarian) always made it at Easter time. We knew it as "Sweet Cheese". Essentially it is eggs, milk, & sugar. We always used to argue over who got to drink the "milk" that was left. Sweet Cheese always went well with the Ham at Easter time.

            Joe Krehlik

          • woolbull@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 24, 2011
              You are dead on....my Slovak Grandmother and my Mom made cirak every Easter along with poppy seed and walnut rolls and prune "danish." Great memories. I believe my Mom put a touch of cinnamon in and used one of her old nylon socks for the draining. Bill in Tallahassee

              We always called it syrek: syr being Slovak for cheese. I will need to check with my sister for my mother's recipe but here is one from the FCSLA cookbook.

              Pour one quart of milk into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Beat 15 eggs slightly and add gradually to the milk. Cook over low heat for about seven minutes. Add some pepper and sauce (elsewhere is says a "pinch"). Stir constantly so mixture does not scorch. Pout mixture into linen towel, squeeze and tie tightly. Hang and let drain for two hours. Cover with wet napkin and place in refrigerator.

              I recall my Mother using cheesecloth but she's been gone since 1981 and I haven't seen this made since before then. So it could have been a towel.

              Elsewhere in the cookbook it's spelled sirok and cirak. Syrek came from slovakcooking.com and I think that's closer to correct given the root of the word. It also had the alternate name of hrudko which I have never heard before.

              Personally, as a child I did not like syrek at all. It's been 40 years since I've had it and tastes may have changed. However, I'm not in a hurry to make it and try it. It may be the only Slovak food I don't like. But, since it was Easter and it was blessed, I was obligated to eat it. Maybe that's the reason for it's still current lack of appeal.

              That said; dobru chut!

              --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com , Paul Sabol <pgsabol@...> wrote:

              > My aunt recently forwarded a picture she found of her mother (my baba) making some kind of Easter ?cheese?. As she described it to me:
              > It basically starts like a big pot of scrambled eggs (eggs, milk,?salt, not sure if anything else). It's cooked then put in cheesecloth and tied tight and hung like that till all the liquid is drained off. Then it's a compact ball of that. It's put in the Easter basket that gets blessed. It's eaten cold with a little salt along with the kielbasa, ham, etc. We called it yayechnik (pretty sure) (?sp) and some call it hrutka. My dad used to drink the liquid. Not sure if my mom did.
              > What is the accurate Slovak name of this and what are the actual ingredients/recipe? They just don't make little old ladies like my baba anymore, may she rest in peace.

            • igiles
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 25, 2011
                Joe, my mother made the same cheese at Easter. I remember she added a few
                whole cloves, too. The sweetness balanced the saltiness of the ham. As I
                became more aware, I became a vegetarian and would eat the horseradish/beet
                mixture on the cheese as my Easter meal. I can still smell the sweet aroma
                of the cheese to this day.. - Inez (in Melk, Austria looking at the gold and
                metal-embroidered vestments at the Abbey and on her way back to Bratislava
                on Sunday).

                Just as an FYI, I just read it was the Slavs who settled in Melk. I had no
                idea. Sometimes it boggles my mind when I realize how much it is I don't
                know.