Re: [Slovak-World] Ethnic citizenship

  • William C. Wormuth
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 20, 2010
      Martin,

      You are correct and your points clearly expressed.   fasctorsThere are so very many contributing that it is difficult to see a solution to the problem.

      your comment  3/4 of  the Hungarian population think communist life was better is not a new comment.  For a few years after the fall of communism in Czechoslovakia, I heard that comme4nt quite often but mostly from older people who needed such services as transport to doctor appointments etc...but they always followed that "At least we can....." , meaning that they really did appreciate the change.
      In recent years, the complaining stopped.  Of course I am speaking of Western Slovakia and although I have visted friend in the East, I have not spent much time in the villages where life is very hard since their is so much unemployment.
      Americans have learned Geography and history of the world but an in depth understanding of each country is beyond their understanding.  Although they paid attention during the Serbian actions in Kosovo and especially the American "police actions, they had no real understanding of Ethnic/Religious problem, they saw only the &*^% Muslims.  Albania was, of course 100% in support of the Kosovo - Albanians and their secession from Yugoslavia.
      I make this comparison because it was my fear that if this was allowed, Slovakia would have the same problem but on the Southern border occupied by ethnic Hungarians.
      If ethnic populations in other countries such as Rumania and Serbia are grouped in large areas rather than villages such as the Rusins  in Slovakia the problem will not be the same areas in  Kosovo or Bosnia/Herzegovina.
      I hope that contributors here will become of the internal struggles faced by Slovak governments in answering the demands of the minorities.  The  "damning " of Slovakia by international media concerning "Horrendous treatment of the Roma population", was a result of the lack of understanding of the internal problems.
      Trying to explain only resulted in my being called prejudiced.  Here they considered the problem to be the same as our past history with African /Americans.
      I hope that our Slovaks here will learn form the latest "Political" changes in Slovakia.
      I wish I lived closer to you in Pittsburgh and could participate in open discussions of the problems in our Modern Slovakia and our neighbors.  Helene should be learning first hand and I hope I will be able to be there August through October.

      Z Bohom,

      Vilo