Re: [Slovak-World] Genealogy Web Host

  • maxine
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 9, 2010
      What is the name of your group and link? Can we still use it? maxine sasala

      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 9, 2010
        Bill, I use godaddy.com for slovakcooking.com and I pay either 3.99 or 4.99 a month (I forgot). I think that's quite affordable, especially since the ads I show on the site end up covering this expense. I've been using godaddy for a while and never had any issues with them.

        -- Lubos Brieda --
        Slovak recipes: www.slovakcooking.com
        hikes and travel: www.iamlubos.com

        ________________________________
        Recently AT&T stopped hosting web pages so my genealogy page went off the air. Am looking for a replacement host. My requirements are no ads and either free or low cost per month. With AT&T I think it was 5 or 6 bucks a month. I am looking at Tribal Pages and Tripod. Any other recommendations? Thanks Bill

      • William
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 9, 2010
          Lubos,
          Thank you. I will check it out.
          Bill

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 9, 2010
            Maxine,
            It is the Cmorej/Smorey Genealogy Web Page but it is no longer available since AT&T quit hosting web sites on April 15th. I should have it back up on another hosting site in the near future. I'll let you know.
            I also lost my high school reunion web page. Arghhhh.
            Bill

            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "maxine" <maxine96@...> wrote:

            > What is the name of your group and link? Can we still use it? maxine sasala

          • Greg
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 10, 2010
              Bill:

              You are not alone.

              When home.com went bankrupt and closed their free sites,
              thousands of people lost their family web site.

              2 things to remember.

              Always keep a local copy of your internet web site information.

              Keep back-ups of important information.

              Greg

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 10, 2010
                Greg,
                Thanks. Fortunately I have kept copies of my web pages both on CD and on my back up hard drive. I used Frontpage to make the site but I may have to redesign it completely. It probably should be updated anyway. Right now I am looking at Tribal Pages and also at Lubo Brieda's suggestion of GoDaddy. Both look good although it looks like GoDaddy is geared more toward small business operations. Tribal Pages is focused on Genealogy. I want to put the site up in both English and Slovak if I can and I am waiting for an answer from TPages. They are slow to answer. Maybe that is a clue to how they will be in the future!
                R/Bill