Re: Slovak book

  • William
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 8, 2010
      Helen,
      That looks like a great book. I had some visitors from Slovakia for the past two weeks and as a gift they brought me a 447 page book entitled "Region Spis" - Historicke, kulturne a prirodne dedicstvo (but with appropriate accent marks however!). It is in Slovak, English, German and French. It is a large, heavy book with great color photos.
      It is authored by Igor Bobak and Maria Bobakova. From what I can tell it is published/copyrighted by Bambow in Spisska Nova Ves.
      The ISBN Number is 978-80-968977-6-6 if anyone has interest.
      Bill

      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Fedor, Helen" <hfed@...> wrote:

      > I just got back from reviewing a shipment of books from Slovakia and the Czech Republic, and had to bring one to your attention: -- Slovakia: Illustrated Encyclopedia of Monuments < http://www.simplicissimus.sk/index.php?lang=en >. This book is available in both Slovak and an English translation. It's not cheap (119 euros, although the Slovakia Document Store is offering it for 1`09 euros < http://www.panorama.sk/go/mapa.asp?lang=en&sv=3&mc=2509 >), and it weighs a ton, but if you like the Dorling-Kindersley layout of such books (scroll down to the bottom of the page of the first url), you'll like this. It's organized geographically.

      > All opinions my own

    • Greg
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 10, 2010
        Dave:

        Post information on getting your books here.

        I'm sure you have a most interested audience here.

        When will the Peter Jennings interview run?

        I need to set my DVR.

        Thanks

        Greg Kopchak

        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, David <humblebe@...> wrote:

        > Hi all: I'm being just a little deceiving. The book was written by a
        > Slovak, namely me. I am referring to the book, "Memoirs Of A Steelworker,"
        > that was written by me. After all, I'm supposedly 100 percent Slovak American.
        > I fellow from ABC News want to interview me about the closing or selling of
        > the Bethlehem Steel Corp. It will be on TV by Peter Jennings.
        > Ok, now for the bragging part. He told me that he wants to buy my book. He
        > figured he would go on Ebay and he would get a bargain. Guess what? They
        > are selling my book for $125.95. You can check this out on half.com ebay. I
        > didn't believe him so I checked it out for myself. There it was in all it's
        > glory. "Memoirs of a Steelworker," by David Kuchta. Some of you Slovak
        > Worlders bought the book from me. You now have a first edition rare issue.
        > Now, if I die, it will surely double in price. Sorry, but I do intend to
        > live a couple more years...God willing! The book originally sold for
        > $12.95. Please forgive me for bragging, but I'm only a hufty writer and for
        > my book to get into such demand and sell for such a price is making me very
        > jubilant to say the least.
        > Trying to be humble,
        > Humble Dave

      • Armata, Joseph R
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 10, 2010
          Congratulations Humble Dave! But I don't see that on half.com. I get listings from $3.00 to $16.02.

          EBay has 9 copies ranging from $3 to $21.10.

          An online bookstore search found 32 copies from $3 to $36.90.

          Did the expensive one sell maybe? Was it gold plated?

          Joe