Slovak book

  • Fedor, Helen
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 8, 2010
      I just got back from reviewing a shipment of books from Slovakia and the Czech Republic, and had to bring one to your attention: -- Slovakia: Illustrated Encyclopedia of Monuments < http://www.simplicissimus.sk/index.php?lang=en >. This book is available in both Slovak and an English translation. It's not cheap (119 euros, although the Slovakia Document Store is offering it for 1`09 euros < http://www.panorama.sk/go/mapa.asp?lang=en&sv=3&mc=2509 >), and it weighs a ton, but if you like the Dorling-Kindersley layout of such books (scroll down to the bottom of the page of the first url), you'll like this. It's organized geographically.

      All opinions my own

    • William
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 8, 2010
        Helen,
        That looks like a great book. I had some visitors from Slovakia for the past two weeks and as a gift they brought me a 447 page book entitled "Region Spis" - Historicke, kulturne a prirodne dedicstvo (but with appropriate accent marks however!). It is in Slovak, English, German and French. It is a large, heavy book with great color photos.
        It is authored by Igor Bobak and Maria Bobakova. From what I can tell it is published/copyrighted by Bambow in Spisska Nova Ves.
        The ISBN Number is 978-80-968977-6-6 if anyone has interest.
        Bill

        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Fedor, Helen" <hfed@...> wrote:

        > I just got back from reviewing a shipment of books from Slovakia and the Czech Republic, and had to bring one to your attention: -- Slovakia: Illustrated Encyclopedia of Monuments < http://www.simplicissimus.sk/index.php?lang=en >. This book is available in both Slovak and an English translation. It's not cheap (119 euros, although the Slovakia Document Store is offering it for 1`09 euros < http://www.panorama.sk/go/mapa.asp?lang=en&sv=3&mc=2509 >), and it weighs a ton, but if you like the Dorling-Kindersley layout of such books (scroll down to the bottom of the page of the first url), you'll like this. It's organized geographically.

        > All opinions my own

      • Greg
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 10, 2010
          Dave:

          Post information on getting your books here.

          I'm sure you have a most interested audience here.

          When will the Peter Jennings interview run?

          I need to set my DVR.

          Thanks

          Greg Kopchak

          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, David <humblebe@...> wrote:

          > Hi all: I'm being just a little deceiving. The book was written by a
          > Slovak, namely me. I am referring to the book, "Memoirs Of A Steelworker,"
          > that was written by me. After all, I'm supposedly 100 percent Slovak American.
          > I fellow from ABC News want to interview me about the closing or selling of
          > the Bethlehem Steel Corp. It will be on TV by Peter Jennings.
          > Ok, now for the bragging part. He told me that he wants to buy my book. He
          > figured he would go on Ebay and he would get a bargain. Guess what? They
          > are selling my book for $125.95. You can check this out on half.com ebay. I
          > didn't believe him so I checked it out for myself. There it was in all it's
          > glory. "Memoirs of a Steelworker," by David Kuchta. Some of you Slovak
          > Worlders bought the book from me. You now have a first edition rare issue.
          > Now, if I die, it will surely double in price. Sorry, but I do intend to
          > live a couple more years...God willing! The book originally sold for
          > $12.95. Please forgive me for bragging, but I'm only a hufty writer and for
          > my book to get into such demand and sell for such a price is making me very
          > jubilant to say the least.
          > Trying to be humble,
          > Humble Dave

        • Armata, Joseph R
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 10, 2010
            Congratulations Humble Dave! But I don't see that on half.com. I get listings from $3.00 to $16.02.

            EBay has 9 copies ranging from $3 to $21.10.

            An online bookstore search found 32 copies from $3 to $36.90.

            Did the expensive one sell maybe? Was it gold plated?

            Joe