Traditional agriculture--14

  • Fedor, Helen
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 4, 2010
      In the three-field economy, fields were fertilized, on average, once every three years. However, because of a shortage of manure, it was not unusual for the more remote pieces of land to be fertilized at six-year intervals. This lack of manure was also compensated for by using green fallow [the practice of growing a legume on land on which other crops are not being grown], which was then plowed under, as well as by growing crops in a certain rotation.

      In western and eastern Slovakia, cattle manure was considered the best fertilizer; while in northern and central Slovakia, with its extensive sheep breeding, sheep manure was considered the best. Sheep manure was applied to the soil through kos~arovanie (using sheepfolds), which meant moving around the wooden sheepfold, where a flock of sheep would stay overnight, and where the sheep were also milked.

      It was only after World War I that Slovak rural areas (excluding country estates) adopted new sowing procedures, made a transition to an alternating farming system [rotating crops?], and experienced the gradual mandatory use of industrial fertilizers(2).

      All opinions my own

    • Bruce Bauer
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 4, 2010
        Did I miss Traditional agriculture--12 & 13

        Bruce
      • Fedor, Helen
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 4, 2010
          Yes, Bruce, you did.

          Did I miss Traditional agriculture--12 & 13

          Bruce

        • CurtB
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 4, 2010
            Helen,
            Just superstitious? I find there is no Traditional Agriculture numbered 13 in the Sloval World archive. Sort of like no 13th floor in apartment buildings?

            I am enjoying them so much I didn't want to miss one.

            Curt B.

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 5, 2010
              Curt,
              I did send out a #13 (I checked my "sent" messages), but it may not have actually gone out, thanks to our new email system (Outlook, which I'm calling Lookout!). I'll see if I can resend it from home, but it may have to wait until I get back to the office on Monday. Please let me know if future installments also are missing. Outlook causes problems for us in a random way, so there's no predicting what doesn't/won't actually go out or come in.

              Thanks for letting me know,