Michelle's Problem

  • Greg
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 2, 2010
      We deleted the thread today.

      I've seen this scam several times on the news
      over the past couple weeks.

      You post a message on your Facebook wall that
      you are going on a trip.

      A couple days later someone hacks your account
      and posts that you lost your wallet and need
      money to get home.

      All your FaceBook friends get the message.

      Some people on FaceBook have hundreds of friends.

      Many will try to help.
    • maxine
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 2, 2010
        Greg, I am not a savy person with the computer. So, are you saying it came from FACE BOOK or from S W?
        What should we do if this happens? thanks maxine sasala

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 10, 2010
          This is Michelle -- as I said -- someone hacked both my Facebook and my Yahoo email accounts -- and used my email address for this scam.  I have recaptured both accounts.  My email account has been re-secured, and the hacker has been shut out.

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 13, 2010
            Hi, happy to hear your problems are over! However, how did you know you were hacked? And most important, how did you "fix" it? Because I am NOT knowledgeable about computers and I go to many site for my Family Tree, I really worry. Any advice will help all of us. Thanks maxine sasala
            PS As a matter of fact, I received a Notice from someone??? who stated they had info on my grandfather. Since I never heard of the company and it seemed kind of odd, I have not yet opened it. In fact, I sent a note back asking "who are you and how did you get my name"? That was 5 days ago and still have not heard back. Should I open the e mail to get the info?

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 14, 2010
              Hi, Maxine -- I'm afraid I can't help you decide what to do with the email promising you info on your grandfather -- it might be legitimate, but it might be a spam invitation.  I usually don't open or respond to email from anyone I don't recognize.

              I found out I was hacked, because a friend called me and asked me about the email.  I knew that I didn't send it, so I investigated it on the internet and found out that it was a common scam.  I called AT&T's (my internet provider) technical customer service and they helped me fix the problem.  They really didn't have an explanation for how it happened, but I guess if someone has the technical expertise, it's not really that hard.  But the important thing is to make sure that you change your important passwords frequently!