Re: [Slovak-World] Venison

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 12 , May 28, 2010
      Well, not really.

      While I do use a bit of salt, pepper and sometimes a dash of garlic I never use steak sauce and only use ketchup on western egg sandwiches and on genuine very bland home baked beans. I will admit to occationally ordering a spiced up entree when the wife and I go out to eat but for the most part I prefer most of my cuts of meat and fish on the plain side and not doctored up to taste like some other entity.

      From: Bill <wkollar@...>
      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Saturday, May 29, 2010, 6:48 PM

      EXACTLY ! ! !

      Message 2 of 12 , May 29, 2010
        I have had venison that didn't taste gamey at all. The hunter that gave it to me soaked the roast in beer for 4 hours before cooking and treated the roast like beef. It was the first time I had ever had that. After that I have had venison meatballs and jerky both of which didn't taste anything like venison at all.
        All the best,
        Jennie
      • PAUL WOLSKO

          Message 4 of 12 , May 29, 2010
            EXACTLY ! ! !

            Isn't venison supposed to taste like venison, rather than beef? <ggg>

            Paul Wolsko

            On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 9:32 AM, j_coulter77@... wrote:

            I have had venison that didn't taste gamey at all. The hunter that
            gave it to me soaked the roast in beer for 4 hours before cooking and
            treated the roast like beef. It was the first time I had ever had that.
            After that I have had venison meatballs and jerky both of which didn't
            taste anything like venison at all.
            All the best,
            Jennie

            <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>

          • William C. Wormuth
            Message 5 of 12 , May 29, 2010

              Message 6 of 12 , May 30, 2010
                OK,

                Does anyone know if it is Slovak tradition to serve venison or other wild meat with cranberries or cranberry sauce?

                Ron

                Message 7 of 12 , May 30, 2010
                  The cranberry is an American plant, so my guess is no.

                  All opinions and mis-opinions my own

                  >>> "Ron" <amiak27@...> 05/30/10 8:39 AM >>>
                  OK,

                  Does anyone know if it is Slovak tradition to serve venison or other wild meat with cranberries or cranberry sauce?

                  Ron

                  --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <wkollar@...> wrote:

                  > Well, not really.
                  >
                  > While I do use a bit of salt, pepper and sometimes a dash of garlic I never use steak sauce and only use ketchup on western egg sandwiches and on genuine very bland home baked beans. I will admit to occationally ordering a spiced up entree when the wife and I go out to eat but for the most part I prefer most of my cuts of meat and fish on the plain side and not doctored up to taste like some other entity.

                • Nick Holcz
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 30, 2010
                    At , you wrote:

                    >The cranberry is an American plant, so my guess is no.

                    Not all cranberries are American.
                    Nick

                    * Vaccinium oxycoccos or Oxycoccos palustris (Common Cranberry or
                    Northern Cranberry) is widespread throughout the cool temperate
                    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Hemisphere>Northern
                    Hemisphere, including northern
                    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europe>Europe, northern
                    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asia>Asia and northern
                    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_America>North America. It has
                    small 5-10 mm leaves. The flowers are dark pink, with a purple
                    central spike, produced on finely hairy stems. The fruit is a small
                    pale pink <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berry>berry, with a
                    refreshing sharp acidic flavour.
                    * Vaccinium microcarpum or Oxycoccos microcarpus (Small
                    Cranberry) occurs in northern Europe and northern Asia, and differs
                    from V. oxycoccus in the leaves being more triangular, and the flower
                    stems hairless. Some botanists include it within V. oxycoccos.
                    * Vaccinium macrocarpon or Oxycoccos macrocarpus (Large
                    cranberry, American Cranberry, Bearberry) native to northeastern
                    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_America>North America (eastern
                    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada>Canada, and eastern
                    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States>United States, south to
                    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Carolina>North Carolina at high
                    altitudes). It differs from V. oxycoccus in the leaves being larger,
                    10-20 mm long, and in its slightly apple-like taste.

                    "In the long run, you only hit what you aim at."
                    -- Henry Thoreau

                  • Dr. Joe Q
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 30, 2010
                      That is correct - cranberries are not exclusively North American. Not to get into an involved botanical discussion, however, as noted the European and American cranberry belong to the genus Vaccinium which also includes the ligonberry and blueberry. Do not confuse the genus Viburnum with cranberries, that fruit is edible but frequently causes "discomfort".

                      Dr. "Q"

                      Note: Wikipedia is a reasonable source of information, however, it is not without its faults - see the nonsense that has been going on with the Kosice article; view the discussion page:

                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Ko%C5%A1ice

                      Someone with the internet identification of Nmate keeps changing a table of old names for Kocise:

                      http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Ko%C5%A1ice&action=history

                      > >The cranberry is an American plant, so my guess is no.

                      > Not all cranberries are American.
                      > Nick
                      >
                      >     * Vaccinium oxycoccos or Oxycoccos palustris
                      > (Common Cranberry or
                      > Northern Cranberry) is widespread throughout the cool
                      > temperate
                      > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Hemisphere>Northern
                      >
                      > Hemisphere, including northern
                      > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europe>Europe, northern
                      >
                      > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asia>Asia
                      > and northern
                      > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_America>North
                      > America. It has
                      > small 5-10 mm leaves. The flowers are dark pink, with a
                      > purple
                      > central spike, produced on finely hairy stems. The fruit is
                      > a small
                      > pale pink <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berry>berry, with a
                      > refreshing sharp acidic flavour.
                      >     * Vaccinium microcarpum or Oxycoccos
                      > microcarpus (Small
                      > Cranberry) occurs in northern Europe and northern Asia, and
                      > differs
                      > from V. oxycoccus in the leaves being more triangular, and
                      > the flower
                      > stems hairless. Some botanists include it within V.
                      > oxycoccos.
                      >     * Vaccinium macrocarpon or Oxycoccos
                      > macrocarpus (Large
                      > cranberry, American Cranberry, Bearberry) native to
                      > northeastern
                      > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_America>North
                      > America (eastern
                      > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada>Canada, and
                      > eastern
                      > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States>United
                      > States, south to
                      > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Carolina>North
                      > Carolina at high
                      > altitudes). It differs from V. oxycoccus in the leaves
                      > being larger,
                      > 10-20 mm long, and in its slightly apple-like taste.
                    • Ron
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 31, 2010
                        I was hoping one of the native Slovaks would answer, or someone would have had a 'wild' meat dinner in a restaurant & remembered the side dishes. In Germany cranberries are traditional with wild boar and venison dinners. I suspect the tradition is quite European, but wanted to confirm it.

                        I did share two American Thanksgivings with the Czech (emigrated Slovak) family, and the didn't recognize canned cranberry sauce by appearance, but knew it instantly by taste. If you ever try that, stick with 12 pound US turkeys so they will fit in the ovens!

                        > The cranberry is an American plant, so my guess is no.

                        > All opinions and mis-opinions my own

                        > OK,
                        >
                        > Does anyone know if it is Slovak tradition to serve venison or other wild meat with cranberries or cranberry sauce?
                        >
                        > Ron
                        >
                        > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <wkollar@> wrote:
                        > >

                        > > Well, not really.
                        > >
                        > > While I do use a bit of salt, pepper and sometimes a dash of garlic I never use steak sauce and only use ketchup on western egg sandwiches and on genuine very bland home baked beans. I will admit to occationally ordering a spiced up entree when the wife and I go out to eat but for the most part I prefer most of my cuts of meat and fish on the plain side and not doctored up to taste like some other entity.

                      • Lubos Brieda
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 31, 2010
                          Hi Ron, cranberries are served in Slovakia with "svieckova na smotane", cut of beef in a tomato/parsley root sauce. I can't think of any other dish that is served with them but I wouldn't be surprised to find venison served with cranberries. It seems like a pretty fitting combination.

                          Cranberries in svieckova are served whole. Actually, I prepared this dish few days ago, but didn't yet get a chance to post the recipe. But if you check in few days, it will be online.
                          -- Lubos Brieda --
                          Slovak recipes: www.slovakcooking.com
                          hikes and travel: www.iamlubos.com

                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 1, 2010
                            Thanks Lubos,

                            I should have remembered what a good resource we have with you here!

                            Ron