Re: [Slovak-World] Traditional agriculture--6

  • cerrunos1@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 2 , May 25, 2010
      It was in fact all my fault- and pleasure!

      Ben

      From: "Helen Fedor" <hfed@...>
      Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 16:53:13
      To: <Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [Slovak-World] Traditional agriculture--6

      My apologies for no TA installments on Thursday and Friday, but it was all Ben's fault (just kidding, Ben). He came up to DC to give a talk on Slovak pop music and I took off a couple of days to get ready for his stay with us. We had a great time, but now it's back to business.

      After the 15th century there were few agricultural changes in what is present-day Slovakia. Feudal conflicts and Turkish expansion caused society as a whole to regress. In spite of the fact that the Kingdom of Hungary was large, it did not succeed in creating a unified, market-based economic system, as happened in Western Europe. A large majority of the population met their needs for subsistence mainly through natural production.[?] In this way, the feudal economy limited further agricultural development and agrarian culture. This was the beginning of a general crisis in the Kingdom of Hungary.

      At that time, feudalism shaped Slovak villages: a serf was bound to the land, and his social situation was defined by his work and his material and monetary obligations to his landlord. This defined the way of life and agrarian culture. The feudal village survived in this form for centuries; it also retained some of these features under capitalism[??]. It did not even change as a result of the Hungarian revolution of 1848-49, which was lead by a liberal part of the middle nobility. The abolition of serfdom in 1848, and the urban letters patent[?] from 1853, only eliminated some of the feudal relationships, leaving many to survive until the 20th century.

      The agricultural revolution in Europe, at the end of the 18th and beginning of the 19th centuries, represented a change in agriculture, from the use of traditional and under-developed technological processes to newer ones. Now, improvement in agriculture was continuous, and led to a new regionalization of Europe: because former-Hungary (and so also Slovakia) did not take part in this continuous agricultural progress[?], its agriculture lagged behind that of Western Europe. This was also true of the ownership, management techniques, and the structure of land and property in the 20th century (1).

      All opinions my own